This is the Message Centre for Captain Kebab

Just passing through?

Post 1

Captain Kebab

I haven't posted on h2g2 for about 3 years, although I've passed through for the occasional lurk. And then somebody on a footie message board I frequent said they'd been playing with Safari for Windows so I thought I'd try a few websites to see if I like it (which I don't think I do, think I'll stick with Firefox - although according to my homepage I was an Opera user when I was last here). Anyhow, I thought I'd see if I still exist in this incarnation - and I do. Which is kind of smiley - cool

It's interesting to look back and see what's changed and what's not. I kind of got a bit tired around here - the atmosphere of the board had changed a lot since I first found it, and apart from the people I'd got to know (hi, if you're reading this smiley - smiley) it all went a bit dull. Which is a shame, when I first got involved it was a blast. I think it started going downhill for me when there was a big influx of people who'd previously been involved in some social website the name of which escapes me which they'd accessed through Telewest digiboxes. I think, could be wrong, I've slept since then. It disappeared, or they lost access, or both, and they claimed asylum here as something near what they'd had - but it wasn't the same. Nowt against them, but they had different interests. I'm probably just passing through, to be honest, but I'll have a nosey around while I'm here.

As for me - well, things are the same but different. Still working in the same sort of area of the same industry, though I've changed companies since I was here last (although I still work with many of the same people) and have been promoted a couple of times. I currently get to travel around quite a bit, which is nice when it's a trip to Europe, not so nice when it's a wet couple of days in Swindon.

Still have the Hillman Minx, still watching City (actually more regularly than I was when I was last here - all the home games, about half the aways, and I have a side-kick, the nine-year-old son of a mate of mine who I take to most games. The son, not the mate, she's a red. Costs me a fortune in Fruit Pastilles and Ribena. smiley - biggrin

And I'm still doing the martial arts bit - I don't teach anybody at the mo, and I don't train as regularly as I'd like with all the traveling, but even after 35 years of study there's still plenty for me to learn.

I wonder if anybody will read this. I'll just have to check back in a bit and see if there are any bites.... smiley - fish

Just passing through?

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

NAa ya right, no one will probably read it smiley - bigeyessmiley - wow Blimey.... not seen you about in... well years smiley - weird Seen anything of threesecondmemory? I kinda lost touch with him ages back smiley - wahsmiley - hotdogsmiley - burger

Just passing through?

Post 3

Captain Kebab

Ooh, hiya 2legs, how's it going? smiley - smiley No, not been in touch with threesecondmemory, pretty much lost touch with everybody cos I got out of the habit of logging on here.

Still, I've been back a couple of times recently, but I'm not what you'd call regular. Think maybe I should eat more fibre. smiley - corncob

Nah, that's not going to happen!

Just passing through?

Post 4

Hmm.. more fibre.... naa.... just a few more cilli peppers and raw onion in the kebab normally works smiley - biggrin
Yeh, I kinda lost touch with him too, He's not been on HooToo in... a long while me thinks... Me fine I think, spending ever increasing sums of money on ever increasing amounts of guitars and amps and such like which is all good fun, and at least I've a job now to justify me at least having the money to buy it smiley - doh I really must kick my EBay habbit smiley - dohsmiley - geek

Just passing through?

Post 5

And your online again smiley - biggrinsmiley - evilgrin

Just passing through?

Post 6

Captain Kebab

I pop in and out, usually just lurking. smiley - biggrin

I couldn't resist a quick bitch about the congestion charge.smiley - erm

Just passing through?

Post 7

Ooo I think I saw that convo smiley - dohsmiley - biggrin Tis a lot quieter on here than it used to be smiley - wah I remember it used to often get rahter busy round the midnight onwards time smiley - yawn not so anymore though smiley - doh

Just passing through?

Post 8

Metal Chicken

Hiya Cap'n smiley - smiley

Good to see you here again, even if it did take me 9 months to find your posting. Gone are the days of well-attended Manchester meets. I must add something to that congestion charge convo. Me and Phil feel somewhat aggrieved that we don't get a vote when commuting into the smoke is a necessary evil each day. Can't see the proposed transport improvements making much difference to the likes of us. No wonder there's a low turnout for voting when so many of the people who will be directly affected don't get a vote. Whinge, whinge. Of course you might be really for it...

Just passing through?

Post 9

Captain Kebab

Hiya MC, good to hear from you. smiley - smiley

Not here so much, these days, but been popping in now and then.

Nope, I wasn't for the TIF scheme. I'm certainly very much in favour of investing in public transport, and it's because of the historic reluctance of national and local government to invest in it that it's in such a poor state compared to many European cities.

But this scheme wasn't the answer and I was very much opposed to it. It might interest you to hear that a large majority of my colleagues were opposed to it too - I work in public transport planning, as you may recall, so we were all pretty well informed about it. It was a rotten plan, dishonestly represented, and I'm delighted it was so resoundingly defeated.

I could bang on at considerable length about it, but seeing as how it's not going to happen, and you agree with me anyway, I shan't bother! smiley - winkeye

Just passing through?

Post 10

So, is there still Manchester meets? Not been up that way in years now... smiley - ale

Just passing through?

Post 11

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

Not got around to arranging one for ages, we must be due one any chance of you coming up if we do?

Just passing through?

Post 12

Looks like I'm busy in Feb, and looking like a may meet in London... It'd be a possibility* smiley - biggrin But I'd likely as not not be able to say for sure until quite like last minute or something smiley - blushsmiley - doh depends though... not sure how this year is going to pan out really yet... so much stuff to do... smiley - doh

Just passing through?

Post 13

smiley - bigeyes I see someone online... smiley - smileysmiley - ufosmiley - run

Just passing through?

Post 14

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Do I see a Cap'n? smiley - bigeyes

Just passing through?

Post 15

Captain Kebab

Hi Amy, how's it going? smiley - smiley

Yep, I still keep popping in, in a kind of disorganised and random and irregular way. Which is how I do life, really! smiley - winkeye

It's interesting to see who spots me making one of my flying visits, I don't post much, more often lurk.

Hmm, I've forgotten how all the smilies work here, apart from the bog-standard ones. I'm going to have to resort to the help page!

See what I mean? Isn't there an "eek"? Bah, will have to look it up! Still, at least I remembered the preview button.

Just passing through?

Post 16

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

Cap'n my old mate, how the devil are you?

Just passing through?

Post 17

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I think you meant smiley - yikes --> < yikes >

*wonders if the Cap'n's lurked in enough places to know that PaperKid's a big sister, and has been for over a yearsmiley - winkeye*

Just passing through?

Post 18

Captain Kebab

Hallo Granny, I'm good thanks, a bit older, a bit fatter, no wiser.... smiley - winkeye

And no, Amy, I didn't know about that, wow! Belated congratulations! smiley - bubbly

I've been kind of dropping in for 5 minutes now and then, haven't really had a good nosey around for, well, years. I really ought to go for a wander and see what's what.

Just passing through?

Post 19

Just watch out for the dangerous 'God threads'.... unless you've an enless supply of coffee/beer/vodka and a strong constatution smiley - winkeyesmiley - zen

Just passing through?

Post 20

Captain Kebab

Oh God no, not getting involved in that! smiley - winkeye)

I'm not a believer, but I'm not about to argue with anybody about it.

Although, not to do with God but a bit of a tangent, I suggest you take a look at the flat earth society forums, they're very funny. smiley - weird It's theflatearthsociety dot org, you can lurk without registering.

Definitely people there who believe (but don't do) six impossible things before breakfast. You can't beat a propoh barmpot! smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Captain Kebab

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more