A Conversation for 'What If...?'

What if... the laws of physics were optional?

Post 1

Rt. Hon. David F. Porteous, Scottish Researcher, Keeper, Minister and rarely seen member of The Banned

What is the "laws" of physics were more like general guidelines?

--David, who is currently living in high orbit around his ego

Post 2

Munchkin

If the laws of physics were optional... I'd just have spent seven years of my life drinking instead of studying them. ... Oh no, wait a minute smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Saavik2

The laws of physics shouldn't just be optional - they should be repealed.

Post 4

T´mershi Duween

What if u got fined for not abiding the laws of physics?

Post 5

Saavik2

Nee-naw-nee-naw-nee-naw:

"T'mershi Duween?: You are under arrest for failure to observe the known Laws of the Universe. In accordance with Newtonian Law, you have the following rights and obligations.

1) You have the right to remain at rest or to continue moving at the same speed in a straight line.

2) You have the right to accelerate at a speed that is proportional to and in the direction of any force applied, providing it remains inversely proportional to your mass.

3) You have the right to oppose the force, but any action you take will have an equal and opposite reaction.

Do you understand the gravity of the situation?"

Post 6

Inkwash

Gravity is the first one I'd choose to waive... but only slightly.
Is it too much to ask to be able to fly?

Or to be invsible! Bend light around yourself. That would be something.

smiley - ghost

Post 7

Magic

If we could fly there'd be no car pollution and if we could beocme intangible there'd be no overcrowding...Or you'd have to have a ticket or something so you could only be solid for half the day. If we were invisible we'd just hang out in changing rooms of the opposite sex. Life would be better on the whole I think.

Post 8

just another number

if we were invisible then hanging around the changing room wld b pointless as u cant see any thing and if we're all in the changing rooms of the opposite sex then theres gonna be nobody of the correct sex in the changin room that u want to see

Post 9

motherpenguin

Given the rate at which the laws of physics have to be rewritten to take into account new thinking, my view is that they are optional already smiley - winkeye

Post 10

BetzMc

The laws of physics are most definitely general guidelines - anyone who does not believe that should try coaching 11 and 12 year old girls fast pitch softball.

Key: Complain about this post