A Conversation for The London Underground

Timing the gates

Post 1

Al 2000

One of the trickiest parts about learning to use the underground is that first passage through the barriers. My initiaition to this most viscous of automatic machines was not a pleasent one. I failed to realise that the gates opened after placing the ticket in the slot. Consequently I attempted to pass through the gate after the person in front. The gates closed just as I was going through, trapping me on one side and my rucksack on the other. I then had to wait, redfaced, with a sizeable queue of more clued up Londoners piling up behind me, until a surly conductor set me free. Other than this small incident I love using the underground ( although the amount of black stuff produced when you blow your nose afterwards leads to a slight concern regarding the lungs of regular users )

Timing the gates

Post 2

Peta

You were lucky, I got my breasts stuck in one once.

Timing the gates

Post 3

Lew 1

I know how annoying that is. But the other challenge that you have to complete with the barrier's are "Seek Assistance". But don't worry - if this happens to you, there is a cheat way around it. Check your ticket is valid. If it is, just goto the barrier next to it. This is sure to work.

Timing the gates

Post 4

Merkin

That'd smart!

Timing the gates

Post 5

Peta

Very embarrassing too. Had to, er... extricate them! smiley - winkeye

Timing the gates

Post 6

Camp_Freddy

I hate those little gate things. During my first journey on the tube I had bought on of those zone 1 and 2 passes and when i put it into the machine it didn't come out, I went to 'seek assistance' and then some guy went in behind me and my ticket came out, so he walked of with it, leaving me to explain why there was no valid zone 1 and 2 in the machine. After many raised voices the little hitler dealing with my problem relented and was gracious enough to not call the police or charge me a fine. (I had to buy another ticket though.) And why does no-one speak on the tube?

Timing the gates

Post 7

Peta

Read my other conversations on this subject. I am NOT going to talk to anybody. If you do they are bound to be THE latent wierdo of every carriage and burst into song, rant or expose themselves. Keep yourself to yourself is my motto down there!

Timing the gates

Post 8

saffire

a wrinkled up pass is all hell when youre at the spinny gate thing and the bloody pass doesnt go through the slot because for some reason the machine doesnt want to accept an un-straight ticket...
but anyway, the many times this embarassment has happened to me, the 'seek assisitance' people have alway been very friendly;>
about the fact that no one talks on the tube...well, no one ive seen talks - but there was one band of gypsies who played some tambourines...and there was that one old couple on the brink of having mad passionate sex...
but i guess no one likes to talk when theyre underground
-teresa;>
(i dont live in london, or even england for that matter, but the city is amazing, as is its subway system)

Timing the gates

Post 9

Peta

I love the city but have lived the tube for too long. Tamborine people are fine I guess BUT THEY ALWAYS SIT NEXT TO ME!

Timing the gates

Post 10

Merkin

I had a similar experience with a barbed wire fence. Brought tears to my eyes it did!

Bypassing the gates

Post 11

Eric the Researcher 52268

Last week I wanted to go to a Zone 3 station with a friend, outside my Zone 1&2 pass. I bought a 'not-zone-1' extension and travelled, confident and smug at not being a 'fare evader'. When I inserted either ticket at the destination, it wouldn't let me through - the dreaded 'Seek Assistance' message. My friend was right behind. We went to the fiendly - sorry - friendly LUL man, who explained to me that that was normal so that I had to show both pass & extra ticket. He then let us both through the side gate. After we had passed through, I asked my friend (also a Zone-1-&-2-er) if she knew about that. "Zone 3? was I supposed to buy an extra ticket?" I then told her that I had just saved her £10 in penalty fares.

BTW I've noticed that at Oval & St James Park the side gate is often left open in an evening - are they short staffed? Don't blame me, though, if you get caught.

Timing the gates

Post 12

Merkin

Oh go on. Come and join MUCUS. You'll love it. And I think you'd be the only member who does actually travel on the tube!

Timing the gates

Post 13

Peta

Hi merkin - just got back from holiday!! How or where exactly does one join MUCUS? (sticky tape wouldn't work)

Timing the gates

Post 14

Merkin

http://www.h2g2.com/P122077 as I recall. How was your holiday? Where did you go, what did you do, do you have a comemorative stick of rock / outlandishly large cigar / hat / toupe?

No Subject

Post 15

Peta

Hiya - France Bordeaux, white water rafting, wine, more wine, yet more wine and some cheese.!!

Timing the gates

Post 16

logicus tracticus philosophicus

So what do they get stuck in now...undergrounds a bit busier...

Key: Complain about this post