A Conversation for An Unauthorised Autobiography

Bio the bio

Post 1

taliesin

So, what can I tell me about myself?

Hey, Tal...

Post 2

Please tell me all about your jobs

I just thought I'd write a message saying I finally came to your page...really cool...beautiful...great smiley - winkeye

Niwt

Hey, Tal...

Post 3

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Happy Canada Day.
As a fellow Canuck ..there are so few of us here ..I guess you get stuck with my passing flash of nationalistic sentimentality.
Nice spot you got here by the river...
I am in Nova Scotia, on the ocean, in the woods with the chipmonks, crows, jays, and hundreds of other varieties (even a horny owl or two) and gulls of course over the water. The occassional fox, otters, mink, coon and coyotes. And an old smelly dog who is mostly blind, mostly deaf and getting lamer. But he tells me as long as he can smell the sea and feel a breeze, he is happy. Me too.
peace
~jwf~
(ps: I need an audio check on your name. Can you spell it out phonetically for me sometime. Tall-eye-is-sin, Tally-sman, ..??)

Hey, Tal...

Post 4

I always wonder how it's pronunced too

Hey, Tal...

Post 5

* Thinks: Somebody with a name like Niwt ought to offer a phonetic too...*

Hey Niwt, do y'think he's ever coming back? Maybe he unsubscribed. Last seen in the Boathouse thread at Camelot yesterday but it's been since April 26 here ..as you well know.

peace
~jwf~

Hey, Tal...

Post 6

I don't know how to pronounce my name. It can only be written. My friends at school call me Niwt sometimes, but I think most of the time we tend to say "Newt"

He used to reply almost everyday to the thread at my space...I've noticed he's been slacking off but he has been saying stuff about new computers...smiley - erm

smiley - biggrin

Hey, Tal...

Post 7

taliesin

Yeah, I'm back!

First off, I believe it is pronounced 'tahl-EYE-ess-in', but since it is a Welsh Gaelich name, it is probably unpronounceable.

Yep, I have been slacking off... actually I have been very carefully setting up a new computer - installing software, configuring the OS, removing the weird stuff that Micro$oft insists on including with Windoze 98SE ('comic' chat ?? for pete's sake!)

I have been managing to keep up with the 'boathouse' thread, mainly because it was/is so darn much fun.

Niwt, I think your screen-name is pronounced 'neoowt' -- that is, with a long 'e' like 'bee', and a long 'oo' like... 'oo' The 'w' is silent smiley - winkeye

~jwf~, howdy to a fellow Canuck - and Happy Canada Day. And that is about the extent of my nationalistic sentiment smiley - erm

Sounds like you have an idyllic place, although I'm doubtful about the horny owls -- that might get annoying smiley - winkeye

We have a few 'rescue' animals here on the ranch -- two smart aleck horses, a nearly toothless cat, a were-cat who thinks he is a Doberman, an old Schnauzer who thinks he is a human, a huge Alsatian who thinks he is a poodle, a Black Lab who was nearly beaten to death by a former owner, and a half-wolf who has a thing for human feet smiley - yikes

Anyway, I love it here. It is so much better than the Big City (Vancouver), and I hazard to guess you are of similar mind...

Sorry for not responding sooner. I somehow lost the link to this message board -- it is supposed to show up on my personal page whenever someone posts here, but for some reason it did not...

I will be adding some more (useless) information to my bio page in a day or so, at the request of an incurably nosy parker smiley - winkeye

Regards to you guys...

Hey, Tal...

Post 8

Neoowt? Erm...smiley - ermsmiley - yikes

Hey, Tal...

Post 9

Yeah I'da said like nitwit without a tea and only one aye smiley - winkeye.

Hey, Tal...

Post 10

BTW may I interest you fellas in contributing a bit of self explanatory insight to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F19585?thread=115294

Hey, Tal...

Post 11

taliesin

~jwf~

I just took a look at that thread.... very interesting. I copied all the postings to read them later offline, and I'll post to it later.

Are you familiar with the mythical Welsh bard who was the inspiration for my screen-name?

Hey, Tal...

Post 12

I looked it up on Britannica once smiley - tongueout

Hey, Tal...

Post 13

No, I don't think I'd seen the name before. But I love (most) UK folklore and myth so now you got me curious.

Is it at the Britannica online? Or elsewhere online?

(My house burned down a few years ago and I haven't 'bothered' to replace the Library. Well actually I could never afford to replace it but that's another sad story and I'm sorry I even mentioned it but sometimes it gets embarassing to have to admit I now only own about a dozen books when I used to have a room full of them. Oh, I was proud of my Reference section! Pride cometh ..goeth(?) ..before a good fire.)

peace
~jwf~

Hey, Tal...

Post 14

taliesin

I may create an article containing my version of the myth, with some links to other on-line versions...

May take a few days or so, however, as I am kinda busy right now.

Sorry to hear about your housefire ~jwf~, -- scary things -- I hope no one was harmed

Hey, Tal...

Post 15

Just the mice and insects ..and my pride. (Having no insurance can be seen as 'foolish' to many.)
The dog and I escaped.

Looking forward to your 'myth'.
Please, be sure and tell me when.

peace
~jwf~

Hey, Tal...

Post 16

I looked it up on Britannica CD-rom

Hey, Tal...

Post 17

whybother

I just want to say...
i saw this site on the telly in a documentary about douglas adams so i thought id take a look.i was surprised to find id been censored. so i can understand no swearing but whatelse is going to be cut for content

Hey, Tal...

Post 18

taliesin

Hi whybother BTW, I like the nick smiley - smiley

I think most of the so-called censorship is partly an image problem.

The BBC, which owns h2g2, is perhaps a bit 'straight laced', or maybe downright prim, when it comes to *anything* that may be viewed as vulgar, lewd etc. Even so, I think we get away with a lot of innuendo and playful stuff -- we just have to be creative to do it smiley - winkeye And realize that it *is* a 'family' site -- and one with a semi-serious goal: to create an on line guide to darn near anything

The other reason things get moderated is a real fear of legal action regarding plagiarism Copyright suits are a growing concern of many large entities, such as the Beeb. And you can't really blame them

Apart from that, we cannot post URLs in conversations such as this, and that is simply due to lack of manpower to check those URLs -- and see if they contain objectionable or legally actionable material..

The same goes for the language thing... although now German is allowed, because there is an employee who is literate in that language.

I hope that covers it. Do talk about it with others, and if I can offer answers to any other questions, please come and ask.. but do note that this personal bio page is actually just about me.. not the site smiley - smiley

More technical and content related questions can be answered by reading http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A308170, or by going to http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/Feedback, and choosing the correct link there..

smiley - cheers

Hey, Tal...

Post 19

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

I just want to say... greetings from a place about two thirds of the way across our great country.
Ausnahmsweise wie ueblich

Hey, Tal...

Post 20

taliesin

Ontarian, eh? Well, howdy smiley - ok I rode through Ontario a few years back. Lots of blackflies. Hated Taranna, liked Ottawa. Got smiley - drunk there. Fell in love there, for a while, anyway smiley - winkeye

If you ever get a chance, come and visit the Similkameen valley. Nice spot smiley - smiley

Thanks for droppin' by..

smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post