A Conversation for Talking Point: Child Discipline

Box their ears!!!

Post 21

Mac

Here I am replying to my own mailing

No one, of whatever age, whether to an animal, insect, bug, or fellow human, or alien for that matter, can possibly argue to me that they have the right to raise their fist and hit and hurt and possibly maim a fellow creature. Something alive that was created on earth.
Censure must take another course.

Box their ears!!!

Post 22

Clarke The Cynic -Keeper of all things darned (socks/souls).

For some reason, you pro-corporal punishment folks(?) don't actually seem to be fazed by facts, truths, or really, anything else. The fact is, for some reason, crime and juvenile delinquency per population is down, even from like, 1905. EXCEPT in places where corporal punishment is still encouraged. Why is it wrong to beat your spouse when he/she does something you don't like or endangers them, but ok to hit your child? OH! Must be, because your child doesn't have the ability to leave you, or press charges against you. I've heard people say, "Well, I smack my daughter/son, and they still love me." Yeah, no s**t, they don't have a choice. Next time, ask your son/daughter whether they think you hitting them is reasonable or necessary, and whether it's a light tap.

Remember, just because people are smaller than you doesn't mean you have a right to hurt them, no matter what they do, short of trying to hurt you or someone else. But, you say, what if they're doing something dangerous? Tell them, "Hey, if you do that, you're going to get hurt." If it's life threatening and you have the option of smacking them, how about just stopping them from doing whatever it is?
I mean, you have a plethora of options. Why always choose violence, and making your child suffer?

Box their ears!!!

Post 23

Agh! I've been censored! people are deciding what you shuold and shouldn't read, and those people are no longer you!

Box their ears!!!

Post 24

Agh! I've been censored! people are deciding what you should and shouldn't read, and those people are no longer you!

Removed

Post 25

Hunter, who is rarely on H2G2 anymore.

This post has been removed.

Box their ears!!!

Post 26

This isn't a reply to MY message. This is a reply to the hidden message.

Who the hell do you think you are to protect me? I never gave you that power. If this post attacks me, then let it. I'd rather read that than read that one of the hallowed rules thinks I'm too stupid to defend myself, or too fragile to take a little abuse. IF this post attacks someone else, wouldn't they want to know about it?

Box their ears!!!

Post 27

Jeez, there's no need to get angry at me!

I just put that post there 'cause I thought it had some meaning to the conversation. It isn't my opinion, I'ts a quote from the outer limits! Don't lash out at me like that! smiley - sadface

Box their ears!!!

Post 28

oh, wait...You wern't lashing out at me, you were lashing out at the moderators...oops. well, they actually removed that because it was a quote. so I don't know if that changes your opinion

Box their ears!!!

Post 29

Doesn't change a thing for me. If you want to quote, I say, quote!

the teacher has lost total control

Post 30

rajjou

why should a pupil work? why should he/she bring his/her book if the is no punishment? Nowadays the teacher is a puppet and the pupils go to school just because their parents want them to.They are real champions in cheating,the only activity they practice at school is annoying the teacher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we can say farewell to teaching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the teacher has lost total control

Post 31

Secret Love

Which shows that you had poor teachers who could only communicate with you through fear and pain.

Good teachers establish a communication line with the child and develop their minds through a mutual exchange.

I know - there are children who just are not interested in communication - and it's funny how many of them come from homes where 'a good smack' is seen as a discipline tool.

Teachers can control children by exclusion. "You will not participate with your classmates until your behaviour conforms." By highlighting unsatisfactory behaviour, and by not using violence. A child raised on violence becomes confused when other controls are used on it. Initially this leads them to attempt to force the issue to violence; once they fail at that, then they have to learn a new method of responding - communication has started....

Key: Complain about this post