A Conversation for Cockney Rhyming Slang

Pie-eyed

Post 1

Global Village Idiot

It's also important to know your pies.
"Mince Pies" are eyes, but "Pork pies" (or "porkies" for short) are lies.
When talking to an East End lady, be sure you compliment her on the former rather than the latter.

There is one example of double rhyming slang:
"Bottle and Glass" (= Arse) was obviously a bit racy, so it is put at one remove with "Aristotle" = Bottle. This is then contracted again so that you say "Aris". Which is almost exactly what you started out trying not to say. Some secret language!

Pie-eyed

Post 2

The man in the shack

This can be convoluted further by calling it an "april".
April in paris=aris

Pie-eyed

Post 3

The man in the shack

While on the subject of April and Aris, a rather charming sexual euphemism is "going up the Gary".
If you engage in this activity, you may have trouble walking or sitting for a few days.
This is because Gary Glitter = sh****r!

Pie-eyed

Post 4

Rojo Habe (48-1+2-7)

The most famous example of compound cockney is "Me old cock", derived I cnnot remember how. All I remember is:

Cock Sparrow=Barrow
something something something something etc.
China Plate=Mate.

Can anybody fill in the Spinal Taps? I seem to remember this was quite a long one.

Pie-eyed

Post 5

Vestboy

Cok sparrow rhymes with Marrow. Marrow is a littel used word in the south now but it is more used up north. It means mate or partner or the one that should be with this one. So you may see someone wandering round with a single sock looking for its marrow.

Load of Cobblers

Post 6

Vestboy

Another derogatory one here. Cobblers is a contraction of Cobblers Awls rhyming with balls. A cobbler's Awl was part of the tools of the cobblers (shoe menders) trade and was much better known then than it is now.

Berk

Post 7

Vestboy

To call someone a Berk has become an almost friendly rebuke but the source, I have been told, is Berkley Hunt. I leave the rhyme for you to work out.

Berk

Post 8

DikMik

Ditto "Charlie" (Charlie Hunt) as in - "He's a proper charlie!"

Berk

Post 9

Rojo Habe (48-1+2-7)

Ditto Sir Anthony.

(Blunt)

Pie-eyed

Post 10

SaltySeaDog

Well i have one addition if u would like to hear it

Gypsies Kiss.......Piss..as in i'm going for a gypsies...after 5 pints!

Pie-eyed

Post 11

Pog

While you're going for your Gypsies, don't leave your Ken Dodd on the Near and Far (Wad - wallet/cash and Bar, respectively). Now if you did leave it there you wouldn't have been using your loaf, would you? (Loaf of Bread - Head). Don't confuse that with Brown Bread (dead).
One final one for you, maybe if you're being stared at in the gents, that'll be because that geezers a ravin' iron, innit! (Iron hoof - poof). So now you know.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more