A Conversation for 42

Why is 42 the answer?

Post 41

SteveH

Iain M Banks wrote that the best place to find real actual aliens was in the crowd watching an eclipse (being him of course it was inside some kickass limo watching an eclipse). Sounds plausible to me.

Why is 42 the answer?

Post 42

SteveH

In response to 35
Iain M Banks wrote that the best place to find real actual aliens here on earth would be in the crowd watching an eclipse (being him of course it was inside some kickass limo in the crowd watching an eclipse). Sounds plausible to me.

Why is 42 the answer?

Post 43

SteveH

I'll buy many of these reasons for 42, whatever

What I won't buy is Adam's contention that he doesn't write jokes in base 13. I think some mathematically inclined buddy sold him the question. Perhaps months or years after he originally came up with the answer 42

For those who don't get it
Question - Under what circumstances does 6x9=42.
Answer - in Base 13 (4x13+2=54 in decimal base10).
ie when the true situation is that sod's law prevails everwhere and for all of time.

It's too beautiful to be serendipitous, somebody must have coined it.

Why is 42 the answer?

Post 44

DarthRaider

Everything is because it just is, just like 42 being the answer. It doesn't have to make sense, because nothing makes sense in life. The answer to why is because and if you were to ask why it all it exists, the answer would be because 42. If this doesn't make sense then you are thinking too hard and too narrowly. It all just sorta happened. (I came up with this on LSD) smiley - biggrin

Why is 42 the answer?

Post 45

ITIWBS

I still think it has something to do with Eddington's number.

Why is 42 the answer?

Post 46

fluffykerfuffle

smiley - space
his cell phone or his landline smiley - huh

Why is 42 the answer?

Post 47

ITIWBS

http://www.jgiesen.de/astro/stars/diracnumber.htm

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more