A Conversation for Body Piercings

Self Mutilation

Post 1

Old Net Lunatic

Isn't it a deep form of self-disapproval, a form of mutilation?

Self Mutilation

Post 2

Mina

smiley - erm No.

I had my navel done because I thought it looked pretty.

And then I had some others done for a different reason, but not because I disapprove of myself. smiley - smiley

Self Mutilation

Post 3

Saturnine

There are a million and one reasons why people body-modifys. tattoo's or scarification. Its a highly personal choice, because sometimes the self is the only thing an individual has complete control over...negative attitudes towards the field are something I dont understand...

Self Mutilation

Post 4

Researcher 199729

Whenever I get pierced it's to mark a significant period in my life. I hate when people say "Oh, you only got that because you think it's cool" or "You're a wierdo". I also hate it when people say body mods are disgusting and yet love the idea of cosmetic surgery. I also see body mods as a "trial by fire" - if you can come through it in the end you're a better person.
My next piercing is going to be my tongue in three weeks to celebrate a new year at college, new prospects, a new job and a new milestone.

Self Mutilation

Post 5

Saturnine

Exactly! Body Modification IS cosmetic surgery...and my first tattoo was downlast month on my 18th Birthday. I worked for the money that paid for it, I went on my own, and it signified everything about MYSELF and my independance.

However, I dont think that anybody should have to justify what they do to their own bodies. It's not up to anyone else whether something is creative or destructive.

Self Mutilation

Post 6

BobTheFarmer

This is a plug for A1021285
Pleasure, Pain and Permanence, H2G2's body mod society...

Self Mutilation

Post 7

Reagan-Lucian

I started stretching my lobes because it makes me different and individual.

[b]This is always pierced with a body piercing needle and a ring or stud is worn.[/b]

*groans* BARBELL. NEVER wear studs.

Self Mutilation

Post 8

Saan

Seeing as I got my piercing to celebrate the end of a time in my life where I disapproved of every aspect of myself and to remind myself that it was a wrong way of thinking, I can say that for me, it very much isn't. smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more