A Conversation for Word Gymnastics!

A Tangent - Men's names are verbs

Post 41

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

smiley - erm ta! Can't tink of anymore atm tho...

Post 42

Mycroft

I can smiley - tongueout

Morris, Rock, Don, Rush, Pat, Job, Jasper and Ray.

Post 43

Roundley The Terminator

Wow!

Can you help a hapless colonial out with definitions of the verbs Morris and Jasper, please.

:o)

Post 44

Mycroft

To morris is to dance. The verb comes from the noun morris as in morris dancing. Incidentally, morris dancing is actually a corruption of a Dutch phrase for Moorish dancing, so hard as it is to believe there must be some vague similarity between the traditional English display of unco-ordination and a North African dance.

To jasper is to give something the speckled or marbled look of some kinds of the semi-precious stone jasper.

Post 45

Roundley The Terminator

Thanks, Mycroft.

I thought the Morris answer was the case, but it's good to be reassured. The Jasper verb is new to me.

:o)

Post 46

smiley - erm Moorish - could that refer to Moors - as in Marshes?

Post 47

Mycroft

You could certainly form the word moorish to mean 'like a swamp', but it's usually moory.

Post 48

I just thought that the Dutch might be more inclined to use a word about "swampy" given their geography...

smiley - erm

Post 49

Black_Carrot

Ford's name was based on a car, the Ford Prefect I believe, which was based on a name, Henry Ford, which was based on God knows what.

There are also a number of boys' names that are spelled and pronounced the same as nouns, but not based on them. Bill, Will(either the paper kind, or willpower), Bob, Jean(blue jeans)

Post 50

Ford = a river crossing (noun) (i.e. a shallow point of a river), or to cross a river (verb)(i.e. where the river is shallow enough to cross..)

Post 51

OH!

And Henry is a derivation of Harry - (or is it the other way around, yup it is!!!) and to Harry is to worry someone (def from Dictionary.com: 1. To disturb or distress by or as if by repeated attacks; harass. See Synonyms at harass.
2. To raid, as in war; sack or pillage.
)

Post 52

Ah, and Henry is not a verb - but a noun (named after a famous henry - henry joseph) and means
The unit of inductance in which an induced electromotive force of one volt is produced when the current is varied at the rate of one ampere per second.

Key: Complain about this post