A Conversation for Wales

Two Things ...

Post 1

Eusebio - squad number 11

Faint o'r gloch yw hi? is the Welsh for what time ist it ... and ... not everyone in Wales would agree that egg-chasing is the national sport smiley - grr Long Live Footy!

Two Things ...

Post 2

Cogs

I'm not sure if it's official, but in some places 'J' is being taught as part of the alphabet. Not just because of 'Jones', but also because of borrowings such as 'garej' and 'jwg'. And I always use "Faint o'r gloch ydy hi" (How many of the clock (or hour) is it?) for the time myself, although I know there are regional differences, so I wouldn't be too dogmatic. But to me, "Faint hanner ydy'ch chi?" means "How many halves are you?"

Other than that, a fantastic entry. You have presented Wales as the beautiful and ancient place that it is, without sounding like a raving nationalist. I think that many of the Welsh (including my own family!) can be guilty of that sometimes. Listening to some of the rants in *defence* of Wales and the Welsh, I'm embarrased to be associated with them! Hope you get through to Peer Review, it's a cracking article. Da iawn i chi!

Two Things ...

Post 3

Gaggle Halgrunt

How about "Beth yw'r amser?" for "What's the time?"

Far simpler.

Karl

Two Things ...

Post 4

Gaggle Halgrunt

Also, "shut your mouth" is "Cau dy geg"

some regional dialects have the "cau" sounding as "ca", but "cau" is the correct written form. Also, you don't need the capital G for "geg"

Karl

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more