This is the Message Centre for 2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Playing with balls...

Post 1

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Was, what I mainly did yesterday smiley - yikes Went along to this ports event thing, and got to try various visually impaired/blind sports...
Unfortunately the tandum cycling wasn't there, as was promised smiley - grrsmiley - doh
but got to try the guide running (I.E., the way one is ment to do it, rather than the way my PT and I have cobbled together)... quite different... - From that got the information on the guide runner's database, so I can find a local guide runner, to get in some extra running, asides the four days a week or so, at the gym smiley - zen (mind, wanting the weather to warm first smiley - brr )

Also got to try blind tennis... turns out I still recall how to use a racket right, and my sound location of the ball was pretty spot on smiley - cool - though feels so weird, as its not like a standard tennis ball, far softer, so doesn't respond the same, and is a lot slower... could be kinda fun though; got information about a local blind tennis group.... unfortunately they meet onj a Tuesday, when I'm at the gym... though I may attempt to get to go along, after gym, for about half or so of their session at a nearby sports centre... on a Tuesday... so gym, tennis, then ten pin in the evening smiley - yikes that might be a bit too much actually smiley - laugh

Also got to try blind cricket, which I had briefly done, years back...
it was absolutely freezing, outside, for the cricket, and I was shivering; had lost all sensationand feeling in my fingers, despite wearing two pairs of gloves that I always carry now smiley - brr
Despite which... again turns out I recall how to use a cricket bat correctly smiley - magic got a couple boundrys, (well within the space we were in), - but again... the ball is so much softer, it just doesn't react the same as aordinary red cricket ball.... I boweled a wicket too smiley - cool

Was so cold after that, we had to escape back into the sports hall (and the toilets, to find a hand dryer, to warm up my fingers, and get blood moving again)....

Just couldn't face any more of the cold, so had to bunk off early and miss the football smiley - dohsmiley - football - would have been handy if we'd known some of the events were outside, there wasn't any clue to that in their E-Mails...

doing the tennis and running was good though, and the cricket was kinda fun too, just not in that* cold smiley - brr

didn't do much today; housework mainly, washed clothing, then washed and changed bedding, swept, mopped, and hovered.... (w did most the hovering nad mopping)...

I cooked a roast chicken for dinner, and did roast potatos, plus roast cinnamon cauliflower to go with it smiley - drool - oh, and we had a supermarket grocery delivery today, to stash up on frozen stuff, mainly frozen chicken breasts, and fish fillets plus a few frozen vegies... - also got some fresh strawberries (which are rather decent smiley - drool ) and a few other fridge things... (had a £10 voucher for the grocerys hence we did them this week) smiley - zen

Gym tomorrow morning, then ten pin bowling tomorrow night.... Must get round to phone the osteoporosis nurse again, as still not heard back smiley - groansmiley - erm still awaiting the letters from cardiology which endocrinology said they would forward to us, in light that cardiology can't or won't seem to communicate directly with me smiley - alienfrown also awaiting a letter from endocrinology with results from the other day plus any instructions on to increase or not my levothyroxine dose... smiley - zen

did I mention its freezing cold?! well... it is... smiley - brr no fair... I wanna get outside and do some running smiley - grr but no way with my fingers going insainely painful at the slightest temp drop and cold wind on my face, actually becoming painful now smiley - huhsmiley - shrug damnit... smiley - runsmiley - puffsmiley - runsmiley - puffsmiley - boing

Playing with balls...

Post 2

You can call me TC

Crikey. I am in awe about that wicket you took. Was it the full 22 yards?

And were the strawberries local? I think ours are still coming from Spain.

Playing with balls...

Post 3

I've no idea what the distance was... I guess just set out on a short area; as it was just 'trying it', rather than an actual game as such smiley - zen
Oh, I think these are still Spanish, the local strawberries won't surely be about yet, given the weather and lack of sun so far this year smiley - wah

did gym Tues and weds, but so achy today I couldn't! smiley - laugh but should be back to gym tomorrow smiley - zen

Oddly, the landlord at our local pub, last night, almost* convinced me, to try martial arts smiley - yikes - he knows someone who trains disabled people in martial arts smiley - cool . . . I'm sort of tempted smiley - evilgrin

Playing with balls...

Post 4

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Because doing something during which bones can be broken would be such a good idea for someone with osteoporosissmiley - facepalm I suppose Tai Chi or the like would work, but sheesh--growing redwood trees on your balcony sounds much more sensible smiley - winkeye

Playing with balls...

Post 5

nah... its probably a really really good way to strengthen up bones! - trust me, I'm a biologist smiley - laughsmiley - geeksmiley - scientistsmiley - doctorsmiley - nursesmiley - vampiresmiley - silly

giant redwood trees on the balcony is so sensible its unreal! asides anything, once large enough, I can put a swing on it, to swing on in the summer... above the street smiley - coolsmiley - boing

Playing with balls...

Post 6

ITIWBS

Redwood roots fan out in an umble.

Sequoias have deep taproots, almost as deep as the tree is tall.

Metasquoia, (the Chinese redwood) also called the water cedar by the Chinese puts down a typical cedar-like root system, like to have its roots wet or at least damp, turns red and sheds its leaves in the autumn.

Metasequoia is also the one best favored for development as a timber tree.

There are plantings of all three in the UK.

Playing with balls...

Post 7

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

There may have been a packet of mixed sequoia seeds from the US Forest service delivered to 2legs during my trip to the UK last summer, ITI smiley - whistle

Playing with balls...

Post 8

ITIWBS

smiley - smileysmiley - biggrinsmiley - ok

If a sequoia, a full wooden barrel might be a good choice for a container, packed with chipper shredder mulch for growth medium, something tall to give it room for taproot structure.

Playing with balls...

Post 9

I *think* it's a mix of Sequoiadendron giganteum and Sequoia sempervirens. They should be easy to tell apart once they've grown some, though--the needles are very different between the species.

Playing with balls...

Post 10

If a lot take.... the graveyard opposite my house (no longer receiving new burrials), may end up with a odd grove of them smiley - biggrinsmiley - cool

OH! Oh! wow... if I live long enough... and they grow tall enough, I could run a line from my balcony to the redwoods in the graveyard smiley - coolsmiley - boingsmiley - laugh

Playing with balls...

Post 11

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Believe in it! I want to walk that line! smiley - cool

smiley - pirate

Playing with balls...

Post 12

Hoh, yus! you have to be here... to watch me walk it the first time... err.... when I'm about 130 years old mind smiley - biggrinsmiley - senior

Playing with balls...

Post 13

ITIWBS

Sequoia family trees mature to mature timber tree size in about 20 years.

Giants take longer.

Playing with balls...

Post 14

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Gimme a call once you are ready smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Playing with balls...

Post 15

will do... it'll be... epic smiley - cool

I wonder how much the trees weigh though... I might need a heavier pot for the one on the balcony... smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post