This is the Message Centre for pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

21st September: Peace One Day

Post 1

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

21 september is the United Nations international day of peace. peace one day believes it should be day of global ceasefire.

http://www.peaceoneday.org/

meme webguide - faranani for solidarity A573040

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - peacesign

smiley - peacedovesmiley - galaxysmiley - peacedove

Post 3

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

as the saying goes, Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

smiley - cheers

Post 4

Jabberwock

"Therefore if you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus, military theorist.

I suggest that your posting was disingenuous and not in the spirit of this thread at all. It's the mere opinion of a not unbiased military theorist, not a pacifist in the sense of the Day of Peace, and as a mere opinion is not an argument for or against anything.

It does not work today, if it ever did. I'll give you examples:

UK and USA - much preparation for war - what do we get? War.
Compare that with Switzerland. No preparation for war. What do they get? Peace.

Why didn't you do the translation??????

Post 5

Ellen

Glaobal ceasefire, even for a day, sounds excellent to me.

Post 6

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

http://www.internationaldayofpeace.org/

on the news this morning apparently the Taliban will also honour the day

Post 7

Jabberwock

Brilliant! Let's hope

A. It's true
B.They manage to do it.

Thanks for the good news, Profsmiley - ok

Jabsmiley - smiley

Post 8

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

I didn't offer a translation as I though it was well known enough not to need one.
Also, Switzerland has, I believe, the largest armed forces, per capita, of any country in 'the west'.
I would also draw your attention to things such as Pearl Harbor. The US was neutral, had a fairly small standing army and was pretty isolationist. Then there was Neville Chamberlain "Peace in our time" etc.
War and peace are much like the mutual deterrent. As long as one group have weapons then every other group mush have equivalent weapons otherwise groups will attack each other, either out of greed or fear. It is, unfortunately, one of humanities baser instincts.

As someone who believes that violence against and the killing of one's fellow men* cannot be morally justified I agree whole heartedly with the sentiments this day expresses. However as a realist I don't hold out much hope that we will ever know true peace.

smiley - cheers

*used in it's asexual meaning of people.

Post 9

Jabberwock

OK, TBF. In the spirit of the thread, let's not argue.

smiley - peacedove

Jabsmiley - smiley

Post 10

Jabberwock

TBF, I'll go further if I may. It's very clear to me now that I misjudged your motives, so I withdraw the personal 'disingenous' line of remarks.

Let's hope this day has been, is, and will be, successful across the world.

smiley - peacedove

Jabsmiley - smiley

Post 11

It's ok. I think that the idea is admirable, but as long as there are men like GWB, Kim Jong Il, Saddam Hussein, Ossama Bin Laden et al in the world I doubt, very much, if we will ever know peace. Unfortunately the only way to stop someone who wants to attack another country from doing so is to ensure that that the other country can fight back on equal terms. A sort of Mexican stand-off with armies, if you will.

We can only hope that one day the world will know true peace.

smiley - cheers

Post 12

toybox

smiley - peacedove

Key: Complain about this post