A Conversation for Written Exam Technique

Strategies for the female student

Post 1

Wand'rin star

Are you taking a subject where the pass mark has something to do with the average mark your fellows get? Wear a short skirt and black stockings and high heels. Cross your legs in the aisle. Long hair should be very clean and worn loose
If you are allowed to take food or drink in, something fizzy that looks like champagne is good (or HD ice-cream)
Perfume is good also.
If you _have_ had children and think the above ploys are no longer open to you, practise surreptiously writing the minimum length answer and go to the loo every hour on the hour.
Seriously, if it's a multiple choice answer EVERY question, even if you haven't got time to finish reading the paper
Speed reading is a necessary skill.
Good, large handwriting is worth 5%. Write on alternate lines in black ink. Most examiners are old enough to need reading glasses. They don't realise they're giving you extra marks, but they do.
Try to take courses that allow you to write portfolios or give a presentation rather than write exams. Good luck from someone who's spent too many hours trying to decipher pale drunken spiderwriting and knows whereof she speaks.smiley - star

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I disagree that women should dress provocatively to raise their test scores. For one thing, doing so demonstrates a disheartening lack of confidence in the system/teacher being non-biased. And for another thing, a couple of college studies have found that women who feel 'dressed up' tend to do less well on tests because they feel uncomfortable.

Otherwise, good tips. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Nieve

The short skirt and low-cut top are not to affect instructor bias, but as I understand it to distract the male portion of the class, causing them to do worse, and you better. THIS ONLY WORKS IN CLASSES WITH CURVED GRADING! This of course is useless for me, because my only curved class consists of 25 women and three men.

Post 4

caroliniola

I duno why you wrote that and i dont mean to sound like some feminist prick but i dont think it's very funny, its really sexist and i know its probably a harmless joke i just think its really insensitive to write something like that in 2005.

Post 5

fords - number 1 all over heaven

And yet the technique seems to work smiley - erm

And welcome to h2g2, caroliniola! I've popped by your User Space and left you your offical welcome in your Message Centre (about a third of the way down the page). Any questions? Just give me a shout smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more