A Conversation for Zaphodista Army of Cybernautic Liberation

Freedom of speech != freedom from offense ...

Post 301

plaguesville

He-he-he,
All three of you.

C.T.C.
You (and possibly I if I reply) may be tempting "moderation". smiley - bigeyes

Post 302

Clarke The Cynic -Keeper of all things darned (socks/souls).

what are you talking about?

Post 303

plaguesville

As a friend used to say:
"To the pure, all things are pure."
If appropriate, I apologise for inferring an innuendo.

Post 304

Clarke The Cynic -Keeper of all things darned (socks/souls).

I think I get it. I was referring to the word, capitalist.

Post 305

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

I think... that :X is my new biggest hero. smiley - winkeye

Ben, you consistently make the argument that BBC has the right to censor anything contributed to h2g2 because they own the servers which host the site. The basic idea being that it's their party, and they'll moderate if they want to. I can see how you would think of this as reasonable. It certainly makes sense on the surface.

The problem, however, is that not just anyone can provide for the kind of bandwidth and storage it takes to maintain a site like h2g2. Most sites of that scale are firmly in corporate hands. No big deal from the start, but what if ALL of those sites decided to pursue BBC-style moderation policies? They own the servers, so they have the right, correct? But where does that leave free speech? If only corporate entities can afford to run large sites and they all pursue moderation, there is no truly global forum for discussion -- which is what the Internet is supposed to be.

Furthermore, we must deal with the fact that h2g2 is not presented as BBC's Guide to Life, the Universe, and Everything. Oh, sure, we're constantly reminded that the service is provided by BBC. However, the entire concept of h2g2, as it has been embraced by the BBC, is of a forum in which content is provided entirely by those not affiliated with the BBC. The BBC provides h2g2 as a public service and the site explicitly states that all views expressed are those of the Researchers and not of BBC. To quote the disclaimer: "The majority of content on h2g2 is generated by h2g2's Researchers, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the BBC." (Whoops, I hope I haven't violated any of BBC's copyrights!)

We all know that sentence is just a bit of legalese to divert the lawyers... But it also means that we are responsible for what we post, not the BBC. As such, what right do they have to censor what we say if they explicitly disassociate themselves from Researcher-provided content.

It should also be noted that the disclaimer is apparently different under the Alabaster skin, if I recall correctly. Does this mean that I can say what I want, provided that I use to Goo skin rather than Alabaster? smiley - smiley

Post 306

The H2G2 Editors

Please note that the Disclaimers are exactly the same in both skins.

Post 307

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

Thanks for that clarification. It must have been my imagination, then.

Also, I'm a tad embarrassed to notice that I replied to one of the first 20 posts in a 300+ post thread. Oops. smiley - winkeye

Post 308

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Don't worry - it happens....

Post 309

Don't worry - it happens....

Post 310

As does double posting when your Proxy server goes wonky!

Post 311

shagbark

I tend to have a problem with double posting alsosmiley - blush. I like the word someone came up with a duplipostsmiley - biggrin. Be careful argon0 if you are sailing h2g2 waters. I here there is a pirate ship in these waterssmiley - winkeye.

Post 312

I know - Pete and I get on pretty well... So far..... He don't board me I don't sink under the weight of his boarders...

Post 313

shagbark

From what I hear he has a lot of boarders on his pirate ship.

Post 314

zigackly....

Post 315

Captain Venom: (Making his triumphant return to H2G2!) Proud Keeper of ...

Smiley, If I'm not mistaken, people under 18 are EVEN NOW, with the new proactively moderated site, restricted in access. Parental permission is required. I get your point about the sandpit, but we're not trying to dirty it. We're just trying to play, within the rules, the way we want to and apparently BBC is telling us that this is now offensive.

Post 316

Smiley Ben

Erm, yes, I can see that some people don't like the new rules, I never debated that. I don't even debate that these views might have reasons to support them. What I said was that it's far more offensive than anything the BBC has done that people should consider themselves even approaching the plight of the people this groups name alludes to, and also that those moaning about free speech don't appear to have a clue as to what that is.

Post 317

Captain Venom: (Making his triumphant return to H2G2!) Proud Keeper of ...

Ok, then I fall back on the earlier argument. It's a joke, and a clever little bit (as I understand) to get people to notice us, and as I see it, a very good ploy, especially since this site is based upon a very satiric book in the first place (thanx DNA), and some people should not take offense at a joke. I am not comparing myself to the Zapatistas, I am simply stating that the BBC needs to lighten up.

Post 318

Anonymouse

Now that would be a glorious revelation, were it not for the post directly beneath. smiley - devil

smiley - rose

Post 319

Anonymouse

Oh no!! New rules What in bloody hell has the beeb found to gasp and sputter about now? What new rules? Who have they chosen this week to persecute?

smiley - bluesmiley - rosesmiley - blue

Post 320

Deidzoeb

This group's name refers to Zaphod Beeblebrox as well as the Zapatistas. If that doesn't clue you in to the fact that it's ironic, not meant to be taken seriously, then you are among those people who are truly to be pitied: those born without a funny bone.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more