This is the Message Centre for GreyDesk

Slugs & Snails

Post 1

GreyDesk

The slugs are back smiley - yuk

There are slugs that patrol my kitchen at night.

I've no idea how they're getting in. There are no trails from the back door, nor from either of the two kitchen windows. The only place remaining is the hole in the wall where the sink outlet passes through. But that would mean that they have to negotiate around the back of the cupboard under the sink-unit, and I'm sure that that is sealed.

Anyway, I stepped on one last night. Fortunately I was wearing socks, so we didn't have a skin on skin contact. Also I recognised what I just stepped on before I put my foot fully down, and so could recoil from it with out the full on squelch experience (though it was terminal for slug none the less).

I'm going to have to start sprinkling salt around the kitchen surfaces again smiley - sadface

So why the mention of snails? Well it's to do with my opposing reactions to two species that are to all intents and purposes very similar. Slugs revolt me. I feel sick having to pick them up and flip 'em out the window when I get rid of them. Snails on the other hand, I regard as adventurous souls; chaps who carry their world on their back in their quest to find new things to slide over and investigate and munch at. I really like them. And they taste good with garlic butter smiley - smiley

Slugs & Snails

Post 2

SEF

> "I'm going to have to start sprinkling salt around the kitchen surfaces again"

That or become a dalek with a copper-lined floor. smiley - biggrin

Slugs & Snails

Post 3

I'm not really here

I think they are clinging to your back, and you carry them indoors. Then they stealthily drop off while you're not looking, and hide until night time.

I don't mind either, although hate to stand on both, and the slime is very difficult to wash off. Yuk.

Sometimes I've seen snails at eye level on my back door when I open it at night, is it possible that's happening, and you don't notice them dropping off the door?

Puppy Dog's Tails.

Post 4

Secretly Not Here Any More

That was quickly modded. Anyone you know on pre-mod?

I know what you mean though, I'll murder slugs on sight, but if I tramp over a snail with my giant shoe, I feel slightly guilty...

Slugs & Snails

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - yukpoor GD ~shudder~

smiley - run

Slugs & Snails

Post 6

Orcus

Use slug pellets, much more deadly, and they can't get the birds and cats inside your kitchen can they?

Slugs & Snails

Post 7

riotact : like a phoenix from the ashes

get a pet hedgehog.

but really, slugs and snails in the house? is this common in england or is it just a grey desk thing?

Slugs & Snails

Post 8

I'm not really here

I sometimes find trails near the back door, but this is usually them creeping in while the back door is open for the dogs. I've never actually seen on in the house, so assume they go back out or the dogs eat them. smiley - yuk

Slugs & Snails

Post 9

Demon Drawer

I thought Mina was going continue 'and puppy dog's tails these are what boys are made of'.

I should have guessed it was the organic garden again though. The slugs do serve some purpose just don't let them get too near your veggies. Use cornflakes or egg shells around your plot and they won't traverse it.

Slugs & Snails

Post 10

I'm not really here

Tch. A2876862 "they have been seen to travel over beds of broken eggshells to find a meal" smiley - whistle

Slugs & Snails

Post 11

Baron Grim

We put half empty cans of lager on their sides near our tiger lily that was getting devoured by snails. They died a happy death and disposal was a snap. It might work with slugs as well.

Slugs & Snails

Post 12

Baron Grim

Ah, I see a variant on the lager can was mentioned in that entry above. We didn't notice much collateral damage our way as the cans on their sides prevented other creatures from accidentally falling in.

Slugs & Snails

Post 13

I'm not really here

It may be worth an update if someone has proof they work! Although I still say it's a terrible waste of beer. smiley - biggrin

Slugs & Snails

Post 14

Demon Drawer

It would rather.

Grr regarding the eggshells then.

Slugs & Snails

Post 15

GreyDesk

Beer doesn't survive that long in this house. It gets lined up and shot down real quick.

The Dalek option isn't going to work either - it's five steps down into my kitchen.

Actually come to think of it, the slugs might be reading this as I've not seen one, nor any new trails since writing this. Up to the point where I stepped on one I think I'd flipped about 8 in total back out the window in the previous three days. Maybe that's all there were in the invasion force. But that hasn't stopped me from taking precautions - I now stand on the bottom step and reach round to turn the kitchen light on rather than bound down the steps and slap the switch as I go past it.

Slugs & Snails

Post 16

I'm not really here

Maybe you're bringing eggs in, and they're hatching inside your house?

Slugs & Snails

Post 17

Demon Drawer

GD don't rule out the Dalek option haven't you seen the lastest models? They can hover.

Slugs & Snails

Post 18

parrferris

Bizarrely, GD, I have the very same problem in my kitchen at the moment. I don't know where they came from - possibly from the rather dank passageway behind the kitchen - but they're great big ugly yellow things. I'm glad to say I've never trodden on one, particularly as I tend to walk around the house barefoot.

Slugs & Snails

Post 19

Baron Grim

I never said we left cans of GOOD beer out. I think we used Miller Lite.

The snails were welcome to it.

Slugs & Snails

Post 20

McKay The Disorganised

You don't need much beer either, just a small dish, and I couldn't believe the ammount that I found in it.

smiley - cider

Oh - but cider doesn't work. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post