This is the Message Centre for GreyDesk

Clangers - one to one

Post 1

GreyDesk

After 22 days and 7 hours of seeding the Clangers on TheBox, I have now finally achieved a 1:1 ratio.

For some strange reason I feel inordinately proud of this achievement. There are folk out there who like the Clangers as much as I did, and whose torrent clients have seen fit to connect with mine such that I have now given out as much as I have taken. Sweet smiley - smiley

And respect to the original capper smiley - cheers

Clangers - one to one

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

The Clangers are on The Box? smiley - run Dang, why didn't I check the Kids box for getting email notification. They've got Catweazle too smiley - bigeyes

Clangers - one to one

Post 3

GreyDesk

The kids stuff there is ace. For my generation it hits the nail firmly on the head smiley - biggrin

There's all the Trumpton stuff - that's three different series

Bagpuss

Mr. Benn

Roobarb and Custard

I'm strongly considering Ivor the Engine despite it not being complete.

All I need now is the Wombles and Captain Pugwash and I'll have the lot.

Clangers - one to one

Post 4

The Wombles are there. Some of them, anyway.

Clangers - one to one

Post 5

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I thought it odd that there'd be another Greydesk kicking about, and odder that we'd end up answering the same question on The Box.smiley - weird

Turns out it's the same one.

Which is still a tad odd.

smiley - smiley

Clangers - one to one

Post 6

GreyDesk

What? You're Socket from theBox?

This is weirdness smiley - weird

Clangers - one to one

Post 7

Indeedy. Small world and all that.

Clangers - one to one

Post 8

GreyDesk

Small indeed smiley - bigeyes

Clangers - one to one

Post 9

I hadn't thought of checking the Kids stuffsmiley - doh. It turns out I really, really need a bigger hard drive.

Clangers - one to one

Post 10

GreyDesk

I would recommend a Western Digital 'My Book' external hard-drive.

The 500GB version is about £85 from Amazon, and has worked like a charm for me.

Clangers - one to one

Post 11

Mu Beta

**ponders on why Roymondo chose 'socket' as a user name**

**decides it's probably best if he doesn't find out**

B

Clangers - one to one

Post 12

Mu Beta

On a more sensible note - my EHD is also a Western Digital (only 200GB, mind), and I've not had a problem with it. Highly recommended.

B

Clangers - one to one

Post 13

The 500GB WD is looking likely. That would mean I'd have a Terabyte across three drives.

A TERABYTE! Crikey.

Mu B, I really don't know what you could be thinking.smiley - whistle

Clangers - one to one

Post 14

Sorry for this completely off topic post, but this is the thread that's here.

WHEY-BLOODY-HEY!

smiley - somersault

Clangers - one to one

Post 15

Mu Beta

Would that be a response to the scoreline at the Stadium Of Light, perchance?

B

Clangers - one to one

Post 16

GreyDesk

I've been in the Terrabyte territory for a while now.

Once Orange decided to boot me for excessive bandwidth abuse - since when was 60GB a month considered as a lot smiley - huh - I was able to sign up with an ISP with no limits, and as a result I can torrent pretty much 24 hours a day smiley - biggrin

Clangers - one to one

Post 17

I've a unlimited Virgin (oxymoron?) broadband now, which is pretty good, but is a killer on the disc space. A lot of my space is taken up with unfinished Cubase projects though, but things are a bit scattered at he minute so a big drive for media files would free up space on the other external drive for the projects. Long overdue housekeeping.

And yeah, the glory of SAFC was indeed the motivation for my outburst.

Clangers - one to one

Post 18

I'm seriously starting to think about a RAID box, either standalone or a motherboard with RAID capabilities. I'm going through hard drives like nobody's business, and none of this is backed up. RAID would solve the space and backup problem in one hit.

Clangers - one to one

Post 19

GreyDesk

RAID is nice, but RAID is expensive.

My needs would be around the 1.5TB mark with RAID5. That comes in at around the £1,000 mark at the moment, and that's money that is beyond me at the moment.

A cheaper, if more time consuming, solution for me would be to double up on the WD USB drives and upgrade my USB hub.

The way I work is to download etc to the PC's main internal drive and then immediately move it out to an external drive once I've done whatever it is I want to do with it. It wouldn't require too much wit to move the data off the C-drive and on to two external drives.

The cost of an additional 3 Western Digital 500GB drives (I've got three already) plus a good powered 7 slot USB hub would be £300.

Clangers - one to one

Post 20

RAID can be expensive if you get a RAID box or a card, but if you're thinking about a new computer it would be relatively cheap to get one with a mobo that has RAID support (here's a budget mobo with RAID 5 http://arstechnica.shopping.com/xPF-Abit-Abit-KN9-SLI-nForce-570-SLI-Athlon-64-FX-X2-SktAM2-DDR2-ATX-Motherboard-w-Audio-Dual-Gigabit-LAN ), and storage is ridiculously cheap these days. Mid towers usually have enough bays for at least four or five hard drives. If you have one drive for your system plus four 500GB RAID 5 drives you've suddenly got an awful lot of storage, and backup of all your data in the event of a single disc failure, and it wouldn't cost the earth.

Key: Complain about this post