A Conversation for The Royal h2g2 Geographical Entry Society - The Members' Bar

The Geographical Entry Society rumbles forward...

Post 1

Number Six

Well, with the membership heading steadily towards the 50 mark, I thought it was time to try and make us official.

So I've submitted us to the Community Choice page to be officially classified by h2g2 - that conversation's here F24942?thread=385079

and asked for a banner and members badges to be made at the Community Art Request Forum - that one's here... F84729?thread=385091. Feel free to subscribe and chip in your two penn'orth - after all, this is *our* thing, not *my* thing.

Also, Agent X has had an excellent idea - it's at A2229806. Our thinking was perhaps we could ask <./>ThePost</.> to publish it and generally raise our profile and encourage people to do the kind of things we encourage! A particular point worth discussion, I think, is encouraging people to write simple entries for the general Guide per se as well as trying to get Geographical Entries into the Edited Guide.

Well, what do you think?

smiley - mod

Post 2

Cyzaki

Good idea to all of the above smiley - smiley

smiley - panda

Post 3

sprout

All good stuff.

I liked Agent X's idea of a collective entry on pickpockets as well - there are possibly other topics that the acquired wisdom of the society could handle.

Another idea for the mission of the society might be to identify major geographical gaps and fill them - sort of linked to the challenge H2G2 idea.

sprout

Post 4

frenchbean

Yes to all of the above smiley - smiley

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 5

Cyzaki

After having read A2229806, I've had a bash at writing about my home town of Newport, Shropshire, UK. It's in PR at the moment so go have a peer at it smiley - smiley

smiley - panda

Post 6

broelan

smiley - ok
thanks for all your efforts on this, six.

i've left another graphic suggestion on that thread (that you can feel free to ignore if you like smiley - smiley).

i really like smiley - thepost idea! what a great way to encourage new writers for the guide.

Post 7

Hypatia

I'm such a poor member that I shouldn't comment. But I think the suggestions are all wonderful. smiley - applause

Post 8

broelan

don't worry about it, hypatia. everybody gets busy smiley - smiley
just being interested and supportive is a contribution smiley - ok

Post 9

Number Six

Hello everyone smiley - cheers I've just gone and submitted Agent X's idea to smiley - thepost, so hopefully we'll see some progress some time soon!

smiley - mod

Post 10

JulesK

I guess the only issue would be those people (don't actually seem to be that many on hootoo) who like to remain anonymous and wouldn't therefore like to draw attention to their current whereabouts.

Or is that just me?!!

Don't care - am reserving that right. Have lived in plenty of places which I can write about.

PS Number Six, you don't seem to have picked up on my plea to be a member smiley - wah

Post 11

Number Six

Don't worry, Jules - you're already a member just be asking to be! It's just I've yet to get round to adding the latest recruits... smiley - cheerup

smiley - mod

Post 12

JulesK

Well all is now right with my hootoo world again smiley - biggrin

Post 13

Inkwash

Post 14

broelan

I like Agent X's idea smiley - ok. Hopefully we can get enough attention to generate material for it. I know smiley - thepost has been looking for fresh content.

An extension of that idea, or maybe something entirely different, would be to have people write about places they've been from a visitor's point of view, touching on highlights and general impressions. This might encourage natives to mention things that a visitor has missed and should include on future trips, opening up discussions and making it more interactive. (Might also generate more material for the post, as I've only lived in one place but I've visited many).

Post 15

Inkwash

Yup, I think that would work too. smiley - smiley

Post 16

Number Six

Well, Amy the Ant's done us proud. Pop over to F84729?thread=385091 and take a look at the banners and logos. I particularly like the banner. Amy makes the point that there are an awful lot of words on the badge, which I pretty much agree with.

I'm posting this in the other thread, too, but how about instead of having 'By Land, By Sea, By Air' in the bottom half of the badge, how about simply 'Researcher' in bold letters.

I quite like the idea, 'cos it kind of links in with that idea that all 'U' numbers are technically Researcher numbers, but the badge could be a nice way of showing that you do actually think of yourself as a Researcher.

What do you guys think?

smiley - mod

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more