A Conversation for Abbreviations

A possible pronunciation of WWW

Post 141

Lost in Scotland

I still go with the preferred way of the Swedes. I just say "ve-ve-ve" as in three "V"'s..

Post 142

KimotoCat

Me too, when not in the company of people who understand twirdle-ew.

Post 143

Lost in Scotland

If I have to wait until I'm in the company of someone that actually knows the term "twirdle-ew" before I use it, odds are I'll never use it at all. Ever.

Post 144

KimotoCat

There is another option: Start TELLING people about the twirdleew!
I did. It worked miracles AND it helped me get rid of a few friends.
All in one handy action too!

But remember not to say twirdleew twirdleew twirdleew dot...

Ice

Post 145

Hammy of Hamster (died, still moving)

(o)(o) i-san

Ice

Post 146

KimotoCat

Huh?

Ice

Post 147

TechnicolorYawn (Patron Saint of the Morally Moribund)

Adding to the previous huh, Huh?

Ice

Post 148

Wand'rin star

Do you mean it's time for this thread to be put on ice? Or ice is a possible pron for www? Or is it nerdspeak for I see with the se-e-e drawn out? Or, or heck, add another Huh? from me

Ice

Post 149

KimotoCat

Huh?

Post 150

Kaleb

on .com - are Americans getting worse when pronouncing this? To me, an Australian, it sounds like they now say daaaht caaahm, (how Australians say "dart calm") I don't remember them saying it so broadly.

on WWW, I have heard "the double yous" and "dub dub dub"

Post 151

Kaleb

How does writing @ save time? I can understand typing it, it's one less key. Writing it is so pretentious.

Post 152

KimotoCat

I always found the dub-dub-dub very dub-dub-dubious, if you don't mind the pun...

The common public way in Denmark, on radio or telly, would be "three times W" - so I've noticed.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more