A Conversation for The Bass Guitar

Obviously, this entry was written by a guitarist.

Post 1

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

Err... the Subject line is pretty self-explanatory. smiley - smiley

Post 2

Jeffery the hyper-intelligent guitar

I beg to differ my friend. For one the bass isnt that hard to play I mean come on... I use flat-wound strings which are even harder to play than normal round-wounds, however they give a better sound so... and in reply to the reply: No not written by a guitarist Im afraid (unless I wrong obviously) it must have been written by a simple member of public who got duped in by his mates to learning the bass cos he wanted a easy way into a band without the fuss. Sadly this is not the case... most bassists are, along with the drummer, the most important people in a band (performing wise). Without the bass a guitarist will get lost, the singer will loose the key and the drummer will loose the tempo (for all the drummers out there: yes I know the same happens without the drums but us rythm section people have to stick together). And as for the idea that playing the bass makes it easier with girls... the lead guitar: yes, second guitar, usually, Singer: most probably, drummer: good chance cos they often play topless so they can show of their bodies (if they have a even slightly rememarkable one, I know our drummer doesnt) but the bassist? Nah. The bassist only gets that sort of credit when you get the rarely seen (or heard) bass solo which is... well amamzing to hear cos bassists are usually (I say usually cos some bassists who play new "heavy metal" are nothing but idiots with a nervous twitch in their hands. This does not include Steve Harris cos he is a G-d on the bass. Iron Maiden Rule! UP THE IRONS!!!)

Sorry. Like I said, inaccurate and simply an unmusical drop outs view on my beloved bass guitar.

Post 3

furtim - Zaphodista Sympathiser

I see. Yes, the frustrations encountered as a bass player are many and varied, but the trials and tribulations are worth the payoff. Just don't ask me what the payoff is, because I don't know yet. I'm just assuming there will be one, eventually. smiley - winkeye

My suggestion to all bassists is to learn jazz bass and find a good small group to hook up with. There are never enough good jazz bassists around, and jazz dudes actually appreciate what you do. Of course, that advice only applies if you actually like jazz music.

Post 4

Jeffery the hyper-intelligent guitar

What are the rewards I hear you ask? The rewards are the knowledge that, as part of the rythm section, you are one of the key members of a band... without you the band is incomplete if not impossible to exist. And anyway the pay off comes as soon as you develop the groove only possesedd by really groovy bassists.

My suggestion is to learn jazz yes but more blues jazz as nearly all rock is a development of blues grooves and if you say 'blues' then you have a visible access to R&B. Not the teeny-pop-shite thats out there at the moment but reall Rythm and Blues... songs like Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, Gimme Some Lovin', Walkin the Dog, New Orleans and so many more. And remember even heavy metal (real metal from the 70's like Deep Purple) has a real bluesy, jazzy feel... just look at Smoke on the Water or Black Night!

Dont loose your groove my friends!

Post 5

GobyWan

Obviously written by someone who wishes he could play bass well so he could get the girls. Bass can be rewarding, if you're not all about the masturbatory guitar solos and being in the limelight. It's possible to play a creative and interesting bass line (and to keep the thing in tune - what the hell was he trying to play on?) and have people appreciate it, and you barely even need to solo.

You, as a bass player, are a critical element of the band; without you there are no low frequencies present, and if your guitarists are mega-solo players it sounds ridiculous to hear them showing off without a background. If you learn how to play rock, jazz, blues, funk, and whatever else, you will be in demand, because bass players tend to be hard to find and the 'average' bass player is both more talented and more dedicated than the 'average' guitarist, because so damned many people play guitar and consider themselves to be 'good enough' if they can pull a couple power chords out of the thing.

Post 6

Jaithebassist

Agreed. People tend to see the bass as easy because it has only four strings (I know that's what went through my head when I first picked it up), but it still has the entire music theory side. Only having four strings, or in my case five, doesn't magically make the scales dissappear, or make playing in key redundant. Playing the bass to the level where people pay attention to you as much as the lead guitar takes practice and originality, granted, but when it works it's bloody wonderful.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more