A Conversation for Hedgehogs

Hedgehogs!!!

Post 1

stalbags

Hiya all!!! I've just read the link about these lovely little critters on H2G2 and was amazed to learn that these little things are soon abandoned by their mothers - as I have had the priviledge of having a young hedgehog in our garden for the last couple of nights - but I was concerned because he is young so put in HEDGEHOG in BBC and lo and behold directed here!
I still have a few concerns though as not all of the information mentioned on this link actually covered my worries. Firstly, I was watching out of the kitchen window yesterday whilst preparing tea and here he comes up in front of the window looking for my cat food - but this was at 1700, my concerns today is I came home from work early, pegged out some washing, and the little man was asleep on the path!!!! Not curled into a ball, just lazily asleep, his little spikes raising and lowering so I knew that he was at least breathing, but I was very concerned due to the fact that he was so open! Is this normal? Is hiding something he will learn to do??!!! Anyway, approached him with a plate of food and just left it close by, he moved about five minutes later further down the path, but just stopped and went to sleep again!! When I went back an hour later he'd gone, not touched the food but at least he wasnt just lying down!! I would just appreciate any feed back in connection with his behaviour, as obviously we over the decades have learned they are nocturnal, so why be sunbathing this afternoon on a garden path??
My garden is on the large side, and I would love to be able to encourage these little balls of joy into the garden, so again any suggestion would be very much appreciated - I have two cats and a dog that all get fed outside so there is plenty of food to keep them happy.
Thanks for reading! (I really am interested and not mad!!!!smiley - erm

Hedgehogs!!!

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Hedgehogs are nocturnal because the insects and slugs they eat tend to come out at night. But hedgehogs are not really afraid of anything, so they don't mind being out during the day. I'm sure your baby will learn to hide during the day in due course.

Hedgehogs!!!

Post 3

stalbags

great news but now I am really confused!!!smiley - erm
My little bundle of spikes is not alone! He comes as a pack of four! Again is this usual - I've lovingly called the four of them mum, dad, baby Joe and spike!! Again the more I read that the are solitary, the more I find that my little invaders are doing the complete opposite!
I must also stress that Yes - they are extremely noisy!!! bless there little spikes! Anyway, all I know is that they seem to enjoy visiting our garden and I want them to stay!

Hedgehogs!!!

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

The mother will abandon the babies in about two weeks' time. If you make the babies welcome they might stay for the winter.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more