A Conversation for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

find a copy of the game for computer

Post 1

Researcher 163709

I have been trying to find a copy of the game hitchhickers guide to the galaxy for computer. I had one about three years ago "hitchhickers guide to the galaxy" can anyone help me email (email removed by moderator)please my wife and I really enjoyed it alot

Post 2

Dolphinnius

At one point, a web version was available on (URL removed by moderator)
though the game couldn't be saved. You may be able to purchase it or find a place to on www.douglasadams.com . Also, do a search for Infocom, the company that produced the game.

Post 3

Minty

I've been looking for years now and I'm extremly tired of searching.
I've been to [URL removed by moderator], it's down. I've tried searching for Infogames, no luck at all [using the top 10 search sites].

If anyone knows anything please reply.

Oh, anyone have any luck finding it?

Post 4

Deidzoeb

Try INFOCOM.

There used to be a website somewhere that ran the Hitchiker's Guide game as a java thing, so you could play it on the web and wouldn't have to even buy it. Sadly, even if I could remember what URL the game was at, I couldn't post it here due to silly new restrictions on h2g2 message boards.

If you can't find anything under "INFOCOM," you might try "Interactive Fiction." There is a growing community of people writing their own text adventure games, and some of them will undoubtedly know a place where you can find the Hitchiker's Guide game.

Post 5

Bruce

There's a copy (one of the very few legal copies) of the javascript version of the game on the douglasadams site under creations/Infocom.

Since I can't post a url to it here - have a look at my userpage & click on the Don't Panic imagesmiley - smiley

;^)#

Post 6

Minty

Cheers, you've made me very happy.

Minty.

Post 7

Bruce

No worries - anytimesmiley - smiley

;^)#

Post 8

Minty

Back again. This may seem stupid, but do you know where I can find a guide to the game? LOL.
Minty.

Guide to the Guide game

Post 9

Orville

It can be found at [url removed by moderator]
It gives the shortest way to play the game...

Post 10

Deidzoeb

Minty, try searching for "interactive fiction hitchhiker's guide" on a search engine. There are dozens or hundreds of pages on the web that describe and analyze and give solutions to the game.

Post 11

thomas

try going to Douglas Adams.com
(with a space)

IT works for me

if you want the text game, that is!

Post 12

Deidzoeb

Can urls have spaces? When I typed in "Douglas Adams.com" with a space, it gave me a message asking if I'd like to try douglasadams.com.

Anyhow, for now we're allowed to post urls again in message threads, so it won't get censored. www.hurray.com !

Post 13

thomas

sorry about that
maybe try going to google.com and look for it
type in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
the game will be on the first page just read everything under all the websites until you come to something that seems like it.

Post 14

Rod, Keeper of Pointless and/or funny discussions or statements

you can find the web version on douglasadams.com
there go to collected works and then to 'The hitchhikersguide' entry. there it is at the bottom of the page. you can't save it there, but it still good fun. Although it is very hard. I keep getting killed by the buldozer one way or another. If anyone can help me there, please let me know.

And I think I found someone on the site who said he had the game as the shareware version. Just search for 'the hitchhiker guide to the galaxy'

Post 15

Gert

After several hours of search, I did in fact find a downloadable version of the old H2G2 text adventure game. Sure, you can play a Java version of it online at
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html
but you cannot SAVE your game in the Java version. However, you can download the software at
http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/hhgg.z5
In order to run this, the z5 game file, you need an emulator called WinFrotzR53.zip which you can download here:
http://www.cris.com/~Twist/WinFrotz/WinFrotzR53.zip
Put these files in the same directory, unzip the zip file and presto! You can finally play the text adventure AND save your game whenever you want!
If you get stuck, a nice walkthrough is available here:
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/Solutions/hhgg.txt

I just wonder why it would be so extremely difficult to find this information, but here it is! Enjoy!

Post 16

Researcher 207342

I remember long ago hearing about an H2G2 PC game. Did that ever surface in the UK, and, if so, is it still available??

Post 17

Ralph the Wonder Llama and André the dodo; Excrement Occurs

The game is now officially abandonware, so you can download it at
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=3486
You can also download the manual there

Post 18

John Baber

I have a .dsk image from the original Apple //c game on my computer. You need to get an Apple //c emulator (there are a lot of them on the web) to run it. You're free to have it if you want.smiley - cheers

Post 19

Ralph the Wonder Llama and André the dodo; Excrement Occurs

But where to find an emu?

Post 20

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Seeing as I probably can't give you a link to the actual site that would give you the emu (most emulators are highly illegial in many respects), I'll tell you how to find it.
Type "Apple //C emulator" into google, wade through the crap that turns up (ie, the pop-ups and endless adverts that these sites have)and you will find it, my friend.
Oberon2001

Key: Complain about this post