A Conversation for Old English Money

Joey's

Post 1

paniknik

Joey's were silver thruppenny bits not 4d's. Sorry.

I worked in a bank in the 60's. I had a new customer, a foundary labourer, who had won the pools and couldn't write his name, just an X. I went to a lot of trouble to help him open a bank account, get references and eventually we were able to cash his cheques; although most were cashed in the pub up the road. I tried very had to get him to understand about crossed cheques and the security they gave him but eventually I had to give him an 'open cheque book' without the double parallel lines that constitute a crossed cheque. But I still wanted him to 'cross' the cheque when he was paying for goods or services. We kept getting cheques back with a giant X across the whole check and his small X signature. That was his interpretation of a 'crossed cheque'.
For all my hard work and patience he gave me a bag of 'joeys', about 50 of them. I refused them many times as I was only doing my job but eventually the manager said I had better accept them; to keep our customer happy. I still have them and use them at Christmas time in puds, much to the delight of my grandchildren.

Joeys

Post 2

Wand'rin star

Boy, I have to try and update this very old article. I now have about six corrections to make. Unfortunately,I'll have to put my Joeys into a footnote. In southern Africa, they were definitely 4d, but as I'm supposed to be talking about Old ENGLISH money, I'll change the main definition. Thanks for telling your story. smiley - starsmiley - star

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more