A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

h2g2 pages

Post 1

StingleFoot

I'm having trouble sharing and enjoying like a good citizen should.
I posted a short article called 'Rainbow' (not the most munificent piece of writing ever) and tried to search for it but I didn't get any matches - Does anyone have any idea how to like, er, find things in h2g2.

StingleFoot

h2g2 pages

Post 2

NIngaui

When you click on search the guide click the power search link and you should be bale to find it because I did.

h2g2 pages

Post 3

Bernadette Lynn_ Home Educator

pages are only indexed once and hour, so wait a while and your page will appear.

h2g2 pages

Post 4

Personality disorder

From what I've seen, entering a string into the white box next to the 'search the guide' button (yes, it is a button, but it's not obvious)will only search the OFFICIAL guide entries. If this fails an option is offered to search the humble researcher pages (or if you're sharp and spot that clicking on the'search the guide' text at the top of each page with nothing in the text box brings up a more powerful search engine, you can do a 'power search'). I think this is silly and the search engine should automatically return both official and user-created pages.

Other than that, the H2G2 is great.

h2g2 pages

Post 5

Slacker

We're looking into the best way to search h2g2 - this will likely evolve over the next few weeks/months.

Yes, we agree that you should be in control of what types of things you want to search for - the search will likely always categorise the results into official entries, user pages, journal entries, people, etc - but you will be able to search for anything smiley - smiley

Tim

h2g2 pages

Post 6

Mandarax

Problem is that the interesting options (user pages, journal entries u.s.w.) only seem to appear if there are no official entries.
If there is an official entry then there do not even seem to be options to look further from that initial page of results, which is a bit daft (and so easily rectified).
ALSO... Apropos HTML etc.
Just about every TEXTAREA field in the guide should have its WRAP attribute set to VIRTUAL or PHYSICAL (or whatever
suits your programming guys). It's damned annoying in 1999 to have to manage one's own Carriage Returns smiley - smiley)

h2g2 pages

Post 7

Mandarax

A N D....
Why do some types of entry escape HTML tags while others leave them to function normally. How are we to know
(WEARILY PRESSES RETURN)
which and where and what and who and how and when?

h2g2 pages

Post 8

babelfish

When I want to show some HTML on a h2g2 page I write it as & lt ; HTML & gt ; (without those spaces). When I come back to edit it, it's reverted to < HTML > and is rendered as html.

Another gripe about TEXTAREA's: as well as adding wrap="virtual" or wrap="physical" (needed for pre-v4 browsers), can someone _please_ take the space out between < TEXTAREA > and < /TEXTAREA >.

Lastly, where can we see a list of the /images directory. I have managed to work out 'smileys', 'saddies' and dots but I imagine there are more useful ones hidden away there as well.

Fantastic site - I love it already

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more