A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

Field Researcher Entries

Post 1

Sine

This really needs to be top priority. I have entries for Cattle, Jodie Foster, The SAT and New York all revved up and ready to go.

Did I mention that this is going to sweep ass? The ultimate encyclopedia.

Field Researcher Entries

Post 2

Jory

Sadr - From the bottom of your home page click on "Click here to add a journal entry".
Then check within the explanatory paragraph for a link to add a new page. That's where I found it.
-Jory smiley - bigeyes
P.S. Do you know how to word wrap within these text boxes?

Field Researcher Entries

Post 3

Spooge

If you want to word wrap the little editor box while you are using it: you can't. That has to be setup in the HTML. If you want to break your text at a certain point, then just hit return.

Has anyone else noticed that you can't put HTML into journal entries, or am I missing something?

Peace out.
Spooge

Field Researcher Entries

Post 4

Omega

How do you get your entry noticed? HEY! ADMIN! check out A21169smiley - smiley(Venus Fly Traps) I tried entering it then searching for it, but it didn't seem to get into the main search. -Do I have to wait for it to be vetted. Leave a message at my home page forum.

How to submit an entry

Post 5

benjymous

Right: This is what you have to do:

1. Go back to your home page.
2. Scroll down to where the link to the user page that you wish to submit is
3. Click on the edit link beside it
4. Click on the "consider for rejection" button
5. Wait a few days

Hope this is helpful!

How to submit an entry

Post 6

Zach Garland

The previous steps have been analyzed and resubmitted with the following:

How To Submit A Field Research Article

1. Go back to your home page.
2. Scroll down to where the link to the user page that you wish to submit is
3. Click on the edit link beside it
4. Click on the "consider for rejection" button
5. Wait a few days
6. Notice they still have not looked at your submission.
7. Notice they still have not rejected your submission.
8. Wait a few more days
9. Go see a movie, come back.
10. Go to the refrigerator and grab the fixings for a sandwich.
11. Make sandwich.
12. Put the mustard and mayo away along with the rest.
13. Eat sandwich.
14. Come back. Notice they still haven't touched your entry.
15. Go to www.ntn.com or www.bezerk.com or some other online game.
16. Take a bath.
17. Go to sleep. Wake up.
18. Notice another day has gone by and the editors are still not back from lunch.
19. Go to work or school and try not to think about it.
20. Come back.
21. Notice the editors are still out for lunch.
22. Take note how particularly lovely and purple h2g2 looks today.
23. Consider writing yet another article.
24. Realize the futility of it if they haven't looked at this one yet.
25. Go for a walk. Maybe walk your dog or use a bike.
26. Get in your car and just drive.
27. Try very hard not to think about h2g2.
28. Find yourself lost somewhere in Ipswitch/Cleveland/Tahiti.
29. Buy a map from a local store.
30. Be confused for awhile.
31. Debate whether or not to ask for directions (women can just skip this step) and finally decide you don't need to ask for directions you can find your own way.
32. Ask for directions.
33. Fancy a bit.
34. Notice that while you were asking for directions, some local hoodlums stripped your car. They took everything but the gum underneath the seats.
35. Hitch a ride back home.
36. Discover that your house has been demolished to make way for a bypass.
37. Rant and rave and look upset.
38. Spend six months to a year trying to put your life back in order (sorry. You don't get directions for all that.)
39. Finally find yourself one day in a place in your life where you once again have a house over your head, a car in the garage, a computer on your desk, and everything is right in the world.
40. Turn on the computer.
41. Log on to the Internet. Be sure to have a smile on your face.
42. Access h2g2.com
43. Notice the editors are still out to lunch, your article submission still has not been touched, and Douglas Adams is still too tall for his own good.
44. Come back to this post, and add step number 45. etc.

How to submit an entry

Post 7

Omega

45. Break own legs in an attempt to kick editors to death, wearing only a small pair of trunks.

How to submit an entry

Post 8

Zach Garland

46. Contemplate the surreality of existence.
47. Wait a few more days.
48. Add more steps to this list.

How to submit an entry

Post 9

benjymous

49. Get yout rejection e-mail in the morning smiley - smiley

How to submit an entry

Post 10

Zach Garland

You got a rejection email, Benjy? Cool! What's it look like! I haven't even gotten one of those yet!

How to submit an entry

Post 11

benjymous

okay, here it is:

Dear Richard Alan,

As requested, we have surveyed your submission to The Guide entitled
"Mouse Rollers" and found it worthy of rejection. Congratulations.

Yours,

The Editors.

I've noticed that the rejected pages no-longer say (submitted) after them on my home page either

How to submit an entry

Post 12

benjymous

quite why they forgot my surname is beyond me

maybe it's a bug in their scripts...

How to submit an entry

Post 13

Zach Garland

Oof! So they don't actually get around to explaining WHY they rejected a particular article so that you can go back and fix it and resubmit it? That's suck.

I mean they could at least add a brief note like, "it's too long," or "it's too short," or "it doesn't have enough funny bits in it" or something. smiley - sadface

How to submit an entry

Post 14

benjymous

I get the feeling they just click on a big red button marked reject, and the system does the rest

How to submit an entry

Post 15

Zach Garland

Well that simply just won't do. I mean if they want more improved submissions over a period of time, they need to continually educate their field researchers as to what exactly it is they're looking for in the first place.

Granted, they have posted a description that sort of vaguely outlines what they're looking for, but if they were to be more specific in regards to specific submitted entries, then the specifics would become more.. uh.. well, specific.

This really just burns my biscuit. I think I'm going to blow that wall down.

I can blow out this floor here too! No trouble!

How to submit an entry

Post 16

benjymous

doesn't that wall support the ceiling?

Rejection Methodology

Post 17

Sine

Yeah, this perplexes me too - I've had one entry rejected and one entry accepted, with the better of the two in my opinion being the rejected one. What was their reasoning?

These boys ought to have a 'reason' field next to their Big Red Button of Bounce.

Rejection Methodology

Post 18

Zach Garland

If we're never told why submissions are rejected, we'll never be able to improve our attempts to accomodate the Powers That Be and what they're looking for.

I'm considering just using this website as a place to keep track of my grocery list and leave it at that.

I'm thinking....

Post 19

JediSlider

The only way we can improve our rejected ones is by asking each other. Do they really even read the articles, or do they flip a coin to decide, so they can't give reasons?

I GOT IN!!!!!

Post 20

Omega

Hey everyone, I got into the Guide! *victory dance* Whoooo! - I am a little confused though, they sent me a rejection email?? So I resubmitted..., but that hasn't been rejected yet. So what if the rejection email is just to crush your hopes a little while you wait for it to be published? smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post