A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

After Updating

Post 1

kbrtiata

Hello there.

I'm Taamyu (U241120)

It seems that I can't "reply" any conversation to me(even to the annoucnment of today's updating) after updating.
Also, we can't see our own private messages unless we go into our ican space, can we?

I do hope this is a temporary problem.
And I hope some of you can help me to sori them out.

Thank you

Taamyu smiley - musicalnote

After Updating

Post 2

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

Hi Taamyu*

this not public thread to post this only for offical h2g2 anouncements soon this posting with be movied!

pisa people please move soon!

e-greeting,
pheloxi

Thread Moved

Post 3

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'h2g2 Announcements' to 'h2g2 Feedback'.

Moved to Feedback forum

After Updating

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Hi Taamyu As far as non-iCan sites like h2g2 were concerned, one-to-one messaging was only ever intended as a feature on iCan (which is why we've never announced the feature, only that we don't have it and don't intend to for the time being). We've never really investigated the feature, for this very reason, so I can really say whether or not things have changed since this morning. The Hub would be the best place to ask about that. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/hub/F94024?thread=401833) As for the problem with replying... I understand the technical team has been alerted to this. Jimster

After Updating

Post 5

kbrtiata

Jimster smiley - biggrin
After I changed my preferences, "frame", into "single page", it works smiley - wow
I think it will be okay now though it will be a bit problem for a while.

After Updating

Post 6

Ottox

And now it should be fixed so you can try to change back. smiley - winkeye

After Updating

Post 7

kbrtiata

smiley - yikes Really? smiley - rofl

smiley - ta for your infomation smiley - biggrin
How quick reply you do !!

smiley - musicalnote

After Updating

Post 8

Ottox

smiley - zoom

After Updating

Post 9

Cyzaki

Yay! I can reply now! I tried to say that I couldn't reply, but, urm, I couldn't reply...

smiley - panda

After Updating

Post 10

U218534

smiley - laugh

Not being online until 7pm, I tend to miss these problems...

After Updating

Post 11

kbrtiata

FOLKS!! Things hasn't sorted out yet, I think smiley - geek

My conversation which I entried FROM MY FRIEND'S SPACE has been trasferred to another person(on my friend's list) automatically smiley - yikes after updating
Srtange thing is that neither of them put into their friends' list smiley - yikes And the conversation which I started transferred before they signed in smiley - yikes
Then I again start discussion with that frend afterwards from that's person's space, but this time from my onther space(I mean, the researcher's number is different), and it again transferred to that personsmiley - yikes.
The strange thing is that in my other space(not tammyu's space), I don't add that person into my friend's list smiley - rofl
It's really strange.
If it's occured once or at the Taamyu space which has B on the friend's lists, I guess there is some more things which h2g2 team has to fix. But as it happens again and this time it's not from Taamyu, but from "the other space" which doesn't have the person on the friend's listssmiley - headhurts
I'm not sure if this will be sorted out as I haven't got any reply from h2g2 team smiley - cry

After Updating

Post 12

SEF

If you have someone on a friends list that means you get their journal conversations. If you are subscribed to someone's personal space page then you get the messages left for them instead but don't show up on the friends list at all. Does that sound anything like what happened (journal messages and personal space messages are *not* the same thing and you need to be clear which you mean).

Some people last year managed to accidentally subscribe to pages without realising they had, because they had clicked on the wrong link. They did a lot of complaining at the rest of us that we kept talking to each other on their space without the conversations being for them, just because they didn't realise that *they* were the ones who kept picking up other people's messages.

After Updating

Post 13

kbrtiata

Hello SEF,
I understand what you mean.
First I went to my friend's space and click "entry discussion(not journal)" and left my message to that person. But before that person and the other person singen in, my messages was on the other person's space(say "B")smiley - yikes
And as I have another space(I don't put B into my friend's list), I tried to post the same thing to the person, but again it was on that person("B").
And both of them don't put themselves into their friend's lists. So, I thought it was really strange.
Believe me, I don't want to keep telling you my problems(not complain, but I'm really upset with this phenomena)
Luckily when the person started the conversation on my space, it did not appear B's space. So, I will keep that thread instead.
I won't start conversation for a while, I suppose.
SEF
I don't like complaining, especially in English which is not my mother tongue. It takes awful long time to writing those kind of things. I wasted time with writing those things for over one day smiley - yuk, so you do(you read my 'complainments' a lot in a daysmiley - sorry)

I'll try to do other thing and find another fun here for a while not starting conversation smiley - headhurts

After Updating

Post 14

SEF

If you went to the page of person A and left a message for them but then saw it pop up in the conversation list of person B (before person B could possibly have been round to person A's page and subscribed to the conversation) then person B must be subscribed to the Personal Space page of A (whether or not they have them on their list). There is nothing that you can do about this and you didn't do anything wrong to make the conversation appear on person B's list. There isn't even anything which person A can do about it except to complain to person B and ask them to stop spying on them. I had a very nasty person stalking me like that too. In contrast to the nasty stalkers though, a lot of people are subscribed to many official places where questions might be left in order to be able to help people more quickly.

After Updating

Post 15

Jim Lynn

For example, there are a number of people subscribed to *my* message centre, and I'm sure none of them are stalkers.

After Updating

Post 16

SEF

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm one of those subscribed to your page along with other guru/help pages and have no intention of stalking you (not subscribed to any of your other pages for example or habitually reading your conversations). However, it is fairly obvious that you are busy with one set of things (site software) and a lot of people direct some fairly simple and inappropriate questions at you because they don't know that there is somewhere else more appropriate to get the information. Of course if you don't think people are helping by replying to some of those questions then you can always ask us to desist.

After Updating

Post 17

kbrtiata

SEF and Jimster smiley - hug

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND KIND OF FULL OF KIND WORDS!!!

I understand you what you are talking about.

I, by myself, often get confused whenever I don't know "where" or "whom" I have to ask questions since I registered here last April. And luckily one has been sorted out by Jimster who coincidentally looked at my post(about chagning hub to h2g2). It takes one year when I can get to know the differences between hub and h2g2. So, I might do the same thing which SEF mentioned about unconsciously.
smiley - erm I'm not sure if I understand what you mean all, but at least I CAN FALL ASLEEP TONIGHT with safe smiley - laugh

Also, as I wrote, it seems that I had pretty hard English writing exercise in a day from just before updating smiley - yikes

SEF, Jimster,
I'll study English harder and I'll try to write some articles smiley - smiley(I should study the usage of GuideML, toosmiley - rofl)
One thing which made me very happy was that both of you could understand my complicated "Japanese" English.
Although I'm not confident on myself nor on English still now, I'd better to have confident on myself, hadn't I?smiley - tea

Again, thank you very much, indeed.
I hope you'll keep in touch though both of you are very busysmiley - cappuccino

After Updating

Post 18

Jim Lynn

"I'm one of those subscribed to your page along with other guru/help pages and have no intention of stalking you"

That's what *I* meant. That the subscribe feature shouldn't automatically be assumed to be a 'stalking tool' when actually it provides an enormously useful service. As indeed do those, like you, who use it to help people out, which I do appreciate.

After Updating

Post 19

kbrtiata

Thank you for your kind words.

smiley - tea
I think that Jim Lynn are Jimster, aren't you?

smiley - musicalnote

After Updating

Post 20

Z

Noooo Jimster is Jim Sangaster and Jim Lynn is an entirely differnet person..

Don't blame you for confusing them though..

Key: Complain about this post