A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

Can we get an e-mail address?

Post 1

Zvoni(Bell)+mir(Peace)

Well, I've just registered (for me this is probably as exciting as "just married", since I've been eagerly waiting for this thing to start up), and I might be repeating something some other (smarter or not) people might have allready asked:

Can we (the field researchers) get an e-mail accounts on H2G2, some sort of web based e-mail service, since it might be useful for all sorts of things...
I know this isn't a easy thing to set up, but I assume there might be some allready available solutions. I know it requires probably a server or two, maybe some additional bandwidth, but I think it might be useful...

Zvonimir, [email protected], hopefuly soon to be [email protected] or something like...

Zagreb, Croatia

Yeah!

Post 2

Some Guy

Now surely that's good publicity for h2g2?

"Hello," I'd say "Of course you can email me. Just drop me a line at [email protected]"

"H2g2," they'd say "What on earth is that?"

"Aha, well," I'd gurgle, smigly "H2g2 is..."

And so on. Another researcher.

Now that's got to be worth considering.

Am I right?

Yeah!

Post 3

Some Guy

Now surely that's good publicity for h2g2?

"Hello," I'd say "Of course you can email me. Just drop me a line at [email protected]"

"H2g2," they'd say "What on earth is that?"

"Aha, well," I'd gurgle, smugly "H2g2 is..."

And so on. Another researcher.

Now that's got to be worth considering.

Am I right?

Yeah!

Post 4

Some Guy

Oh dear.

I seem to need some practice at this.

I did manage to spell "smugly" right the second time round, though.

Yeah!

Post 5

NIngaui

Yes you spelled it right but I think smigly is just as good.

Yeah!

Post 6

Sine

Nah. Bad idea, f'ya ask me.

Keep H2G2 the database that is, but by all means allow researchers to post their email address on their own site entries. That's likely the best way about this.

Yeah!

Post 7

QuadBee (39130)

I like this idea! I don't think it would be that difficult at all! There's places on the 'Net that can help someone set up an email server for their own domain. I think this is one, though I've never tried it myself. http://www.leftcoast.net/dmail/

David Bowie sells email addresses at his website. If David Bowie can figure it out anybody can. *smirk* I think h2g2.com could make this an option. Again, looking at David Bowie's website can help give an idea (partially) how to do it. I don't think Bowie did this right but he's on the right track.

http://www.davidbowie.com/register/right2.html

I would suggest they make it part of a purchaseable package for diehard fans of this place. You can participate as we all are now, and I think field researcher should be perpetually free, but there should be another 'member' kinda qualification you can sign up to get by paying a nominal fee per year.

The community aspect of h2g2.com should forever be open to the public. I'm just saying you could get a bit more bang for your buck by signing up for a paid subscription to h2g2.com, and an email account with h2g2.com would be part of the package.

Maybe you could achieve the distinction of "correspondent" instead of just "field researcher" if you pay, say twenty bucks a year or something like that.

A little brainstorming could make this idea really hoopy. There's software out there designed to make any domain server a mail server, and you could use your domain name and sell any email address to anybody.

Then there's DreamHost.com. I have a domain there myself: It's called http://www.wordjazz.net Among other things, there's a feature there that allows me to make [email protected] an email address. Say some lass named Jane Smith wanted me to sell her an email address. Provided she already has an email address, all I have to do is assign [email protected] to wherever she wants the mail forwarded.

It's not the same thing as providing a full email service, but maybe all h2g2.com would need to do is provide email forwarding, since other mailer systems like hotmail, freemail and yahoo are so prevalent.

There are other features that h2g2.com could provide for people actually wanting to pay for this service and participate in financially keeping it active.

People who are actual members could have the abiltity to select a more personalized look for their own pages. Instead of the goo, h2g2.com artists could have other options available like a format which looks more like the guide Mark One as it's depicted in the old BBC tv series, or the background could be covered in digitized feathers and glowing beaks like the guide Mark Two, or their pages could be a stylized version of Marvin's face.

Perhaps dues-paid h2g2.com Correspondents could take precedence over regular Field Researchers in the Editorial procedures. Works by correspondents could be rejected or accepted first. Perhaps the Powers That Be Guys could even give Correspondents more one-on-one time regarding certain submissions to bring them up to snuff with what h2g2.com really needs. And maybe Correspondents could opt to BE assistant editors if they show they have what it takes in more than just the wallet.

You could have a little 'fanclub' sort of silly collection of paraphernalia sent to you in return for signing up, including an autographed something or other by Douglas Adams, an official looking h2g2.com field researcher press card, and other things that at the time people thought would be really hoopy to include but by the time a paying participant actually gets it in the mail it's like, "why a cheese slicer?"

And a year's supply of pocket lint. The possibilities are endless!

Access to a more private part of the h2g2.com website, designed as a behind-the-scenes kinda thingy. Perhaps the illusion of more personal interaction with Douglas Adams himself, or at least someone who types like him. A regularly updated journal from DNA about his interactions with Disney and Hollywood: the latest information about the new movie about 12 hours before anybody else hears about it.

DNA could offer to help you coin your own word based on your home town AND SO MUCH MORE! And if you order before midnight tonight you will also recieve a cheapo novelty button that reads "DON'T PANIC" in large friendly letters for your shirtpocket or lapel.

Blah blah blah.. Can anyone think of any other cool stuff they'd be willing to actually pay for? I mean goo don't grow on trees, y'know. DNA eventually will have to turn this think into a moneymaker.

Yeah!

Post 8

StevenR

I think that email would be good, it would certainly be a good way of spreading the word about the site.

Yeah!

Post 9

Chronotis

So, have I got this right: you want people to pay for an H2G2 web-based e-mail address when they can go to Yahoo! or Hotmail or some other places and get it free?

Having H2G2 addresses could be good publicity, though.

On another slightly related matter, is there any way to change the e-mail address you signed on with? I mean, if you change ISP? Or do you have to sign on again and start from scratch?

Yeah!

Post 10

Zach Garland

They would not be paying just for the email address. It would be part of a greater package. Anyway I just like brainstorming. It was just an idea. Certaintly should not be taken seriously.

I think it would be keen, is all I'm sayin'.

If you change email addresses, you can't change the email address of your present h2g2.com account. You just have to start a new one.

Yeah!

Post 11

Chronotis

Mm. That's what I thought.

Post 12

Smeg

Hey, I know a place the people who own this site can get a [email protected] address. You can get anything you want aslong as it has.zzn.com behind it. Its free to set up! Free to mantain! I run to email services all ready there and if h2g2.com do not want to set it up then I will if you guys want me to.

Post 13

Jim Lynn

h2g2 is a trademark and cannot be used without permission.

Just thought I should make that clear. smiley - smiley

Post 14

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I looked up zzn - it looks interesting, but there's no "example" layouts - can you point me to any zzn-enabled sites to check out?

Post 15

The Cow

Imagination can get an interesting email - [email protected] !!!

Yeah!

Post 16

Anonymouse

"Perhaps dues-paid h2g2.com Correspondents could take precedence over regular Field Researchers in the Editorial procedures. Works by correspondents could be rejected or accepted first. Perhaps the Powers That Be Guys could even give Correspondents more one-on-one time regarding certain submissions to bring them up to snuff with what h2g2.com really needs. And maybe Correspondents could opt to BE assistant editors if they show they have what it takes in more than just the wallet."

Uhm.. This is the kind of thing we -DON'T- need at h2g2.com.

Key: Complain about this post