A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

Multiple Authors

Post 1

The Anonymous Researcher

I have a problem. I am writing an entry with my sister and I put both of our researcher numbers in the correct box. However, this makes on of us the writer and one of us the editor. Is there any way to make us both the writer?

Thanks.

Multiple Authors

Post 2

The Anonymous Researcher

BTW, the entry is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A908868

Multiple Authors

Post 3

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

No, that is exactly what is meant to happen. You, and only you, can edit any entry you write - adding extra researchers will give them credit, but they won't be able to edit the entry.

Multiple Authors

Post 4

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

It's the editor who has control, so what you're asking is for both of you to be editor. Unfortunately, only one person can have editing privilieges because the system could not cope with two people trying to change the same document at the same time.

To get around this, set up two versions of the entry. one from your page and one from your sister's page. You can transfer the content from one to the other by using the test facility e.g. <./>test908868</.>.

smiley - smiley

Amy smiley - ant

Multiple Authors

Post 5

Bels - an incurable optimist. A1050986

If this goes through to the Edited Guide you will both appear under Written By and a Sub will appear under Edited By.

As far as the unedited guide is concerned, your sister could copy the text to an entry on her page, adding your name, so the order of the names would be reversed.

Multiple Authors

Post 6

Rho

Hi! smiley - smiley

If you submit this entry to Peer Review and it gets accepted into the Edited Guide, the edited entry will have both of your names as writers, and the sub-editor's name as the editor.

However, if it remains as a Guide Entry, I don't think there's any way to make both of you writers or both of you editors. If you wanted your sister to edit it, then the easiest solution would be for her to copy the GuideML from <./>test908868</.> into a new entry, edit it then for you to copy the GuideML from the new entry back into the original one.

I hope that helps smiley - ok
RhoMuNuQ {Ace, Guru} smiley - smiley

Multiple Authors

Post 7

Rho

smiley - laugh Simulpost!

... Better still, they said the same thing! smiley - biggrin

Multiple Authors

Post 8

Rho

smiley - wow 4 people replied, all saying the same thing! smiley - biggrin

Multiple Authors

Post 9

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

We must be right then... smiley - winkeye

Multiple Authors

Post 10

Rho

Or "fools seldom differ..." smiley - yikessmiley - winkeye

Multiple Authors

Post 11

Mina

It's very good advice. smiley - smiley

It is on the Feature suggestion list to expand the list of credits so that they are a bit clearer who has done what, but currently this is how it works.

Multiple Authors

Post 12

Rho

Hi Mina! smiley - smiley

Would there be different credits for Edited Entries to Guide Entries?

RhoMuNuQ smiley - smiley

Multiple Authors

Post 13

Mina

Probably not, although if there was a demand we could look at whether it was something that we wanted to do, and if it was technically possible to have different fields for Edited and normal Guide entries.

The list currently says - More Contributor Fields - Have more fields for each article: Editor (one person), Author (one person and the originator of the piece), Co-writer (list), Thanks to (list), and Artists (list).

Multiple Authors

Post 14

Rho

OK, seems like a good idea to me! smiley - smiley

Multiple Authors

Post 15

Mina

smiley - ok

Multiple Authors

Post 16

The Anonymous Researcher

Thanks.

We're planning to get it edited anyway, so it won't be a problem for long.

Thanks again.

Multiple Authors

Post 17

Rho

No problem smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post