This is the Message Centre for Batty_ACE

Day 2 – Reading – The Bat and the Lighthousegirl

Post 1

Batty_ACE

It was quite a nice day. I woke up and went downstairs for bfast with PC, then he was off to work and I set about becoming more human so as not to scare the locals when I went out.

I remembered the day before we had left the hotel and gone right each time we went out so I decided to go left, just to see what was there. Mostly it was a variety of ethnic shops and places, Polish, Indian, Oriental and a few completely unrecognizable ones. I bought some snacks to keep in the fridgie and a huge bottle of water that I could keep cold in same fridgie. It appears this hotel doesn’t have ice machines and such so the only way to have cold water was to put it in the fridgie. Like the hot bat I am smiley - biggrin I needed ice cold water.

I found a lovely bakery during my wanderings and ordered a prawn salad baguette, a pastry and a drink then after a few stops inside other shops nearby went back to the hotel with my lunch. There wasn’t any place that was particularly picturesque to sit and eat said lunch unless I headed back toward The Oracle, which was too far a walk just for a pretty view whilst eating a sammich.

After lunch I headed back out to wander around and purchase a few things. Then made it back in time for a little rest (no actual smiley - zzz though) and to freshen up for a wonderful evening with Lighthousegirl.

Light arrived some time around 18.30 and we had the traditional smiley - piratesmiley - gift exchange then went to the hotel bar to wait to see if PC would make it. He had IMed me earlier that he had to go to some local MS employee’s home but if he could get out of it he’d join us.

We sat in the bar and waited until we were both hungry then decided he was on his own. Light drove us (in a rather circuitous way smiley - biggrin mind you) to a lovely pub in (Light correct me if I’m wrong) Sonning. I had a pint of something or other while we sat there and chatted, deciding on what to eat and telling each other about different IRL things. It was loads of fun and had we had a few more smiley - pirates handy we’d surely have taken over the pub and it’s surrounds in the name of The Blood!

Sadly the pub had very little traditional fare, and most of the menu was similar to things you would see at Chili’s or any of the other American chain restaurants, plus some more upscale fare. After much debate on what to choose I settled on the pheasant, and Light on the duck. We spent a wonderful evening chatting about a variety of subjects. It was a lovely evening.

After heading back to the hotel Light came upstairs and met PC, who had apparently just gotten in minutes before. She should consider herself fortunate because he was actually wearing trousers (I guess he wasn’t sure how cold it would be), smiley - erm usually I can’t get him to wear anything but shorts unless it’s actually snowing..

I know poor Light had a long drive ahead of her so I crawled in bed and smiley - zzzed for three (PC was still sitting at the desk working) so nobody would be tired this morning. smiley - biggrin

Post 2

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

You do seem to be having yerself a fine time, Lady. So pleased that your evening went so nicely. And so far, not one headline relating to smiley - piratesmiley - bats ... Amazing. smiley - laugh

Post 3

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

*sulks* they were having so much fun they didn't want to talk to me *sulks*

Post 4

Batty_ACE

smiley - hug Poor Cal!!! That's what you get for not coming to Reading... smiley - nahnah

Actually I would say you got your revenge. Boy does this hotel in London ever stink! I'm frantically looking online for a new one.... from a Starbucks because the bleepin' internet is out in the hotel!!!!

Post 5

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

That´s London in a nutshell... lousy stinking hotels that cost a fortune to stay at...

I stayed at one hotel near King´s Cross in July. The only good thing was the closeness to King´s Cross. It made it easy to get away...

smiley - dragon

Post 6

Batty_ACE

Oh PC is going to have kittens when he arrives.. there is a whole gaggle of M$ engineers who will apparently be arriving this afternoon with him.. and no doubt a M$ admin who will promptly be beheaded next week when all return home.

The thing is I expect expensive.. I'm a New Yorker after all.. but for the price we're paying this is simply a dump... I'm not yet ready to post my Day 3 journal only because I'm not yet ready to discuss it without saying a few thoroughly smiley - yikesable things.. smiley - winkeye

Post 7

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

One of the main resons why I don´t visit London more often than I do is the horrendous prices of lodging. Nowadays I usually travel on my own, and a single room in London is plenty of galleons regardless of location or "number of stars".

The air fare is usually less than one hotel night, and I´m not THAT choosy...

smiley - dragon

Post 8

Batty_ACE

I've been IMing with a friend of mine still in the biz and she recommended some phenomenal apartments that you can rent by the night or week.. for less than the hotels too.. I'm hoping to hear from them soon that they have something..

Post 9

Cal - interim high priest of the Church of the Holy Tail

Day 3 - London- The Bat and faulty towers

smiley - laugh was manuel and Basil there?

Post 10

Que?

Post 11

Batty_ACE

smiley - rofl We went from the Rat's Nest Inn (actually called the Strand Palace) to...

wait for it...

The Savoy. smiley - biggrin

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Did Polly put the kettle on for you? smiley - winkeye

Was Sybil chatting with her chums on the phone?

Post 13

Batty_ACE

No but the rats and roaches had far too much self-respect to haunt that place.. smiley - winkeye I'll write up my days 3 and 4 later on..

Post 14

Lighthousegirl - back on board

It was a lovely evening. We went to the Bull in Sonning -http://www.readingrestaurants.com/the_bull_inn/ We parked where the Saab in the picture is, but that is not my Saab! There is some more info on Sonning here http://www.thefrenchhorn.co.uk/river-thames-windsor-berks/sonning.htm

Batty drank HSB - a traditional english beer

Cal - its not that we did not want to talk to you - but you know what it is like when you get to smiley - pirate girls together - chatter ensues and time flys!

Oh and I got Jam - its fab!

I eventually got home about 1.30am - luckily all the roads were very clear

Post 15

Batty_ACE

Poor Light!

Isn't The French Horn the place we considered going but decided not to?

Post 16

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

French Horn, Horny French, same thingsmiley - winkeye.

Post 17

It was - and it does look like we were right and it is very 'spensive!

Still, it was fin driving down all the roads in Sonning and having a full tour - even if it was dark smiley - winkeye Good thing there were only 3 roads ...

Post 18

Fin / fun well you know what I mean!

Post 19

Batty_ACE

*giggles* It was fun.. smiley - biggrin and fin too..

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Batty_ACE

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more