A Conversation for Hicksville, Ohio, USA

A498459 - Hicksville, Ohio, USA

Post 1

DataLore

http://www.h2g2.com/A498459

There really is a town in Ohio called Hicksville, and this entry will tell you everything you ever needed to know about it, including its location, history, and attractions.

Post 2

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Looking good DataLore. One small point. Could you change your subheadings to lowercase with Capitlized Initial Letters - it's the h2g2 style

Twenty miles south of where I live in Napier, New Zealand, is the city (55,000) people) of Hastings. For the first 50 years of its existence it was called Hicksville. It was named after the guy who founded the place, John Hick. Apparently being named after an English town famous for a British military defeat was preferable to being named after a Scottish immigrant smiley - bigeyes

Post 3

Shea the Sarcastic

Hi there!
I used to live in Hicksville, NY! It's a bit larger than Hicksville, Ohio (pop. 40,000).
They even have at least two McDonalds!smiley - burger
Our Hicksville was named for Valentine Hicks, so I guess Hicks was a popular name back in the day!
-Shea
smiley - magic

Post 4

DataLore

Thanks for the comments and suggestions... I changed the headings as per your request. I've heard of Hicksville New York, but never of one in New Zealand. There are also Hicksvilles in Arkansas, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Virginia, but I have no idea about the origins of their names.

Thanks again! smiley - smiley

DataLore

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - bubblyDataLore! For a first effort, I have no hesitation in recommending this entry!smiley - biggrin
*taking this link back to your entry, so people can go straight from your entry to here*
I doubt this will be in Peer Review long...smiley - winkeye
AGBsmiley - flyhi

Post 6

DataLore

Thanks! smiley - smiley

Actually, I work for the local newspaper in Hicksville, so I have quite a bit of experience writing about the town... I only had to look at a reference once for the date of something... smiley - laugh

Thanks for the glowing recommendation. Talk to you later! smiley - smiley

DataLore

Post 7

Seven of Nine [(1x52)-2-8]x1=42!

Indeed, an excellent entry.smiley - ok

Congratulations!

Post 8

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they haven't been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Post 9

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

DataLore, your splendid article will now be sent to a sub editer. When the sub returns it to h2g2 Towers it will then await its turn to star on the front page. You will be sent an email to let you know when this happy event occures. Well done smiley - bigeyes

Congratulations!

Post 10

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - bubblyDataLore!
Well done!smiley - biggrin
smiley - flyhi

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more