A Conversation for WCW Wrestling

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 21

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I tape the WWF & WCW wrestling every week from my cable for my dad, he loves it.
I grew up to the sounds of Mick McManus and Shirley Crabtree hitting the canvus...every Saturday afternoon.
I can still hear the commentator's voice, and my mother telling me that the men weren't *really* hurting one another, even though it looked like it, to my innocent eyes.
The dirge they serve up today is entertainment for the masses; not sport. It's pure soap opera. But while my dad loves it, long may it reign.

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 22

Bilge

Exactly, it's not sport, it's admittedly fake, more of a drama really, yet it somehow manages to be braindamagingly enteraining!

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 23

Jimi X

Have you checked the Edited Guide for other entries on Professional Wrestling?

There's a bunch:
A1909 - Wrestling
A252721 - World Wrestling Federation
A302969 - Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW)
A330427 - Mick Foley

So at best, your entry might be used as an update to one of these existing ones.

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 24

Martin Harper

http://www.h2g2.com/A1909
http://www.h2g2.com/A252721
http://www.h2g2.com/A302969
http://www.h2g2.com/A330427

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 25

Jimi X

smiley - tongueout

So I was feeling lazy and didn't make them links... smiley - winkeye

- X

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 26

Martin Harper

Oh well.

I have to agree with Jimi - this entry is an update, and we don't accept updates through peer review right at the moment: the towers don't have the programming mechanisms and resources to deal with them. As such, I feel that this entry would be best moved to the 'wrestling' entry - and when that entry is updated, the information in this entry will be combined with it.

You might consider writing an entry on WCW, for example - since we don't have an entry on that - or on any of the wrestling stars except foley - any of these wouldn't fall foul of this duplication problem. But I'm afraid you're going to have to do a rewrite job.

Sorry Bilge - but do keep writing - personally, I'd love to see an entry on Jericho - my favourite wrestler of the second... smiley - smiley

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 27

Bilge

Jericho eh? gotcha......

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 28

Bilge

I've now done a little editing, and it's now about WCW wrestling, and
has paragraph titles to break up the block of text, except i was too much of a big fat lazy git to do them properly, so they're in capitals above the paragraph instead of nice orange letters.

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 29

Bilge

Just for you Lucinda, i've started a work in progress on Chris Jericho. Expect to see it in a few days time......

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 30

Martin Harper

smiley - smooch thanks smiley - biggrin

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 31

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hi. I'm not exactly a pro wrestling fan, but this is a decent entry nevertheless. One thing to do, is to go through the entry and make sure it's all things that would be understandable to those of us who don't watch wrestling on TV unless forced to by a date. For example, I have absolutely no idea what WCW stands for.

Mikey

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 32

PS -- I also think the guide needs an entry on the "Ultimate Fighting Championship", which maybe one of you wrestling fans also knows enough about to write? Then girls like me won't get the "What?!? You've never heard of the Ultimate Fighting Championship" lecture.

smiley - smiley
Mikey

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 33

Global Village Idiot

Hi Bilge,

You're probably upset that your article is once again slipping unnoticed into the lower regions, so I'm going to try to explain why.

It's great that you write with such energy and passion about what is clearly a favourite topic, but if you want to get recommended then you're going to have to make some concessions of style, and do a bit more work. Firstly, you have to remember that this is a Guide, and the Edited Guide in particular is trying to have a high information content. Simply proclaiming 'this rocks!' is not, strictly speaking, informational. The average encyclopedia entry will not have quite this many exclamation marks.

Secondly, you have to consider your audience. Someone from a sheltered upbringing who has never heard of (or at least never watched) 'theatrical wrestling', as I like to call it, is going to be able to follow your introduction but be completely lost by the last few paragraphs, while an aficionado is going to be wading through introduction (s)he already knows to get to the juicy bits. You have to define all your terms (ECW, C4 matches, whatever), because otherwise you're only communicating to people who already know this stuff, and it becomes a geek conversation rather than an article.

You need to have clear in your mind exactly what you're trying to say, and to whom. For a guide entry, that means you should try to either (a) explain the joys of this style of wrestling to that 'sheltered person', so play up the contrast to Sumo, Greco-Roman and Cumberland wrestling; or (b) describe WCW wrestling to someone who may have seen similar forms but doesn't know the characters or match formats you're writing about. Either way, tell it for people who don't already know the thing you're describing.

With a bit of structure, I'm sure you could produce a great entry. I hope you take the time to do that.

GVI

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 34

hey, bilge --

are you still around? are you still wanting to pursue the peer review process with this entry?

if so, what do you think of the above comments by the assorted masses?

if not (or if we just don't hear from you), we'll probably consider moving this thread to the Writing Workshop.

smiley - smiley
Mikey

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 35

Martin Harper

That would be a lack of hearing... move to the workshop?

A496587 - Wrestling

Post 36

Sounds good to me!

smiley - smiley Mikey

Conversation Moved

Post 37

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.

Conversation Moved

Post 38

LittleMissAlexandriaNicolaHassett

hi all im a Rob van dam fan hope ur all well

Wrestling

Post 39

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

We already have EGEs on wrestling:

A1909 - Wrestling
A252721 - World Wrestling Federation
A302969 - Extreme Championship Wrestling

suggest move this back to Entry.