A Conversation for 'Dune' - the Film

Leto? Killed?

Post 1

Hal

Leto, Paul's son, doesn't die "in the novel" (he is born in the second), but later becomes Emperor himself, and the progenitor of The Golden Path, his Grand Plan for mankind.

Leto? Killed?

Post 2

Bluebottle

You are right, but you are also wrong. Paul Atreides has 2 sons, both called Leto, the first dies, the second becomes God-Emperor.

In "Dune", Duke Leto is Paul's father. The Lady Jessica is Duke Leto's concubine and Paul's mother. Jessica's only other
child was Alia, Paul's sister, who is born during "Dune". Chani and Paul's first child is called Leto, but he is killed while still an infant in "Dune". Paul and Chani later have twins in "Dune Messiah", a boy who is also called Leto, and a girl called Ghanima. At the end of "Children of Dune", Ghanima is betrothed or married to the son of the Padisha Emperor and Leto merges with the young of a sandworm to become 'God Emperor of Dune'.

Hope that clears things up!

<BB<

Leto? Killed?

Post 3

Hal

I don't honestly remember a prior son from the books, but it has been some time since I read them.

I stand corrected.

Hal

Leto? Killed?

Post 4

Cypher

Yeah he is right, Paul had 2 sons (one died as an infant), I am now rereadign the books (right now I'm reading God Emperor of Dune).

Leto? Killed?

Post 5

Cypher

Oh right, I forgot about him.
Also in Heretics of Dune one of the priests (I think Hesterian) says Leto III when Tuek (the high priest) mentiones the Tyrant as Leto II, just to be pedant.

Anyway, just one small corrections, Ghanima is not bethrothed or married to Harq-al-Ada, she is married to Leto II himself, but here children are fathered by Harq-al-Ada.

Harq-al-Ada is not Shadam's son, he is his grandson, the son of Winsicia one of Shadam's other doughters (he had only doughters because his Bene Gesserit wife bore him only doughters), his name is Farad'n (aka Harq-al-Ada)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more