This is the Message Centre for BigSchu

Schrödingers Cat

Post 1

Xanthus

Check out the user page:- 'Schrödingers Cat'. Ok, so it's mine and I'm trying to get some feedback, but at least I admit it! I thought you might be interested.

Schrödingers Cat

Post 2

BigSchu

I liked it, except for the slight interpretation of the theory. Quantum physics is just a thought process for attemption to understand the incomprehensible. I'm not to sure how much of quantum theory I buy, but it is at least an interesting thought. Gives you something to think about when the mind wanders in the wee hours of the morning. Fun times with wave theory; and why are particles waves and waves particles; and what about the superstring theory, or the zero-point energy field theory; and and what is the sound of one hand clapping?

Too much thought for one day. Physics, like philosophy, has too many theories for them all to be right, but hopefully one of them is.

Schrödingers Cat

Post 3

Garibaldi - Patented Mr G party at F14181?thread=256534

I don't think so actually. Until we get the Grand Unified Theory, nothing is true and correct. Anyway, how can you explain the whole universe with a set of 'realivly' simple set of equations and theory. I best hope is that a quantum singularity doesn't appear and swallow us up.

Hmmm... that wasn't funny at all. Must be the Friday syndrome.

Schrödingers Cat

Post 4

Mortisidhe

To : Garibaldi
Well, I've added a, one, my own to the Grand Unified Thoery section. Not much, mind the typos, and hope you like it

Schrödingers Cat

Post 5

The Cow

Quantum physics [ie: physics involving calculations with quanta] can be proven by the photoelectric effect.

Basically, the photoelectric effect is this:

Shine a blue light at a metal: it gives off electrons.
Shine a -bright- blue light at a metal: it gives off more electrons
Shine a red light at a metal: nothing happens.
Shine a -bright- red light at a metal: nothing happens.

therefore the frequency changes the energy per quantum - wave theory can't explain this.

Schrödingers Cat

Post 6

scaryfish

The sound of one hand clapping? Thats easy!!
"ch, ch, ch, ch"
see?
Using one hand onlly!!!
smiley - winkeye

Now onto "If a tree falls in a forrest and noone is around, does it make a sound?"
Of course it does!! It goes "CRAA-AASH" Sound is the movement of air particles, and a tree cannot fall without moving some air particles. Unless it was in a vacuum. But there aren't any trees in space....I hope...

Now onto the really tricky ones: if I've got a 56k modem with a theoretical maximum speed of 7k/s, and I download a file at 10k/s is the computer lying?

Schrödingers Cat

Post 7

The Cow

File compression. You're downloading an easily compressible file (eg: text) which the transfer protocols compress and decompress, throwing 10k down the 7k line.

How do you get a goose out of a bottle with a very narrow neck without breaking either goose or bottle?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for BigSchu

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more