www.h2g2.com/A483545

Okay guys, do your worst!
Tell me what you think!
Cheers,
Kidsturk

A483545 - The Isle of Wight

Post 2

Bluebottle

I'd be more inclined to try and include a little more - such as the names of the towns on the Island, and perhaps a little more about it's history...

<BB<

Post 3

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Naughty, naughty... you didn't include a complete URL.

http://www.h2g2.com/A483545

This is very subjective, which is fine and dandy for your personal space, but not for an Edited Entry; and a lot has already been said about the Isle of Wight, so you will have to give some serious thought about specific information that has been overlooked to this point. And 'bloody Americans' isn't very nice. If tourists really do cause a noise pollution problem, there are better ways of describing it, without hurting people's feelings.smiley - smiley

JTG

Post 4

Jimi X

Bluebottle was being very kind. He has written the book about the Isle of Wight - check out the number of Edited Entries he has done on it! It seems rather silly that the 'overview' entry on the Isle of Wight be so shoddy compared with the outstanding research Bluebottle has done on other aspects of the Isle of Wight.

This entry needs a lot of work to meet the standards Bluebottle has set for describing the Isle of Wight!

Good luck! smiley - smiley

Post 5

Martin Harper

http://www.h2g2.com/Search?searchstring=%22isle+of+wight%22&searchtype=article&showapproved=1 for a list of the stupidly large numbers of such entries...

I really think we *do* need a decent overview entry, though.
Perhaps this entry should be moved to the workshop to try and encourage the production of such a decent overview, either by Kidsturk, or Bluebottle, or, heck, both.

Post 6

Kidsturk

Fair enough guys.
I'm fairly new to the Guide, and am trying slowly to put together something that is worthy of entering its hallowed pages.
I wasn't trying to put BBs stuff down, but I wrote it on a spur of the moment, without much thought, and I know that a good overview article would be a lot less personally weighted and bigoted, with a lot more information and background.
The problem I'm having at the moment is that writing good articles is very much like writing essays...of which I have far too many at the moment!
Cheers anyway,
Kidsturk

Post 7

Martin Harper

The big difference is that when you write entries, you're doing it on stuff you find interesting... that's why my entries are always much better than my essays... smiley - winkeye

But it's good that you recognise what the problems are... you'll find that writing in a guidelike style becomes natural quite quickly - and it's a good style for all kinds of other writing too...

Post 8

Bluebottle

I wouldn't want anyone to think that I am trying to put off people from writing about the Island - in fact, I efel that the more Isle of Wight entries there are on the Guide the better. smiley - smiley So I welcome Kidsturk's attempt, which, to be honest, is much better than my first attempt at writing a guide entry. I think that it's true that the more of them you write, the better of them you get.

I personally found the part on Blackgang Chine in the entry quite interesting - do you live around there?
Do you think you know enough about that part of the Island to write an entry about what it's like to live around Blackgang Chine, or what the Chine looks like, or an detailed description of Blackgang Chine pleasure park?

Just suggestions - I think your article has potential once you decide what you are writing about.
But, considering it's your first attempt at writing an article, you've not done a bad job. smiley - smiley

<BB<

Post 9

Kidsturk

I appreciate what you guys are saying, but I've read it back and I'm going to delete it. I don't think that it does any of the other excellent articles in The Island justice! I've written a couple of other entries on things I DO know about...

http://www.h2g2.com/A465149

A text based virtual tour of a generic Students' Union, and:

http://www.h2g2.com/A483554

An article on RaW, the student radio station for the University of Warwick.

I've also got to grips with GuideML, which is very satisfying!
Check them out and let me know what you think guys!
Kidsturk

Post 10

Martin Harper

Since you wish to delete this entry, I am going to recommend that this thread be moved to the sin bin, in order to clear out peer review a little, and hence let your other entries float to the top quicker and more easily.

Student Unions bring pissups
myre (scout)

Post 11

Martin Harper

Incidentally, don't worry about not being 100% perfectly knowledgeable - the guide is a collaborative thing - if someone disagrees with you, or has extra info - the edited entry can always be updated later.

Thread Moved

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'The Isle of Wight'.

Back to Entry - deleted by author.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Isle of Wight

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more