A Conversation for Henry Purcell (1659 - 1695)

About 'England, My England'

Post 1

Tilly - back in mauve

I've got that film! I love the music and the acting, but the story has always confused me, when this film isn't just about Purcell's life, but also a playwriter in our time, trying to make a play about Purcell. It's kind of that you see in the baroque-sections of the film. (Really confusing, if you know)

It is not a comedy, nor an action, it is just about his life and works. It has this really sad and tired feeling all the way through. It is is not a film you just watch for the joy of it. You feel a little changed when it's finished. But it's really educatoning too!

Henry Purcell is played by Michael Ball (who's acting is superb!)

But hey, this is what I think of it! (I may be wrong)

Post 2

Alfredo

Tilly, as you understand, I've read your message about the film "England, my England".
Later on in time I'll write about my great love for the Music of Purcell. Maybe here, maybe in my diary.

But what I want to ask you is; what do you mean with "I have this film!"?
Is it on video, and although I live in Amsterdam, I'd be véry glad to know the ins and outs of this film/video to be able to buy it somewhere!!!!!!
If you want to give me all the relevant details of the video/dvd, I'll remember you till the fouth Millennium, with the motto; "Hail bright Tilly!"
Greatings from Alfredo, Amsterdam

Post 3

Alfredo

Finally,one can buy the DVD "England, my England",(Tony Palmers film) since the first of august this year, 2007.

I've seen it now from beginning till the end. Wonderful !

Negative things; although there is never any promise of a real continuous costume drama, the drama (150 minutes) is often interrupted by relevant scenes in the sixtees and seventees in our Western Culture. Maybe they were afraid it would become to sentimental. Also not óne title from the Fairy Queen..

How is it done?
The script is by Charles Wood and the late John Osborne and a group of actors in the 1960s is on voyage into the 1660s and late 17th century England, the time Henry Purcell lived.

www.kultur.com

Post 4

Alfredo

At this moment you can only buy it for the USA market = region 1.

My DVD player is free from regionsettings and it is - in these times -very cheap to buy American stuff in dollars, for 1 Euro = 1.35 dollars

But one can expect a European version about next year I think....

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more