A Conversation for Goth - a Lifestyle Choice

these r all lies

Post 1

Researcher 198933

goths r nothing lik this thing makes out- i am a goth and i agree that the attitude cums b4 the dress code but the goths i no can b very violent and most of them do drugs-so ur "drugs are not over-popular on the goth scene" is trash-
n e 1 who feels the same as me and actually nos about goths then reply plz

these r all lies

Post 2

HappyDude

Goths in different parts of the world - different habits

None of the Goths i know do drugs but I also know if I went down to a Goth club tonight there would be no shortage of Goths who do

these r all lies

Post 3

manda1111

Sorry to butt in on your conversation, but if
Researcher "198933"
would go back to there own page and then click on the "EDIT PAGE" button and then write a little something about your self then a ACE can come and welcome you there properly
Sorry for interrupting your conversation smiley - ok

Manda smiley - magic

these r all lies

Post 4

Tube - the being being back for the time being

smiley - shrug Well... the Goths I know are all very non-violent, both in clubs and at festivals.
As for the drug use: that discussion was let in one or two other threads here.
Though, as I intend to update this entry soonish I might make some comments on the different scenes worldwide, so, may I ask whereabouts you are from?

these r all lies

Post 5

ben341

Well I have to say that I have never met a violent goth in my life, and I have met a few of them and been to many events/festivals/clubs for goths etc.

If i was better off I would bet money that they just don't exist smiley - smiley

these r all lies

Post 6

ben341

Woah I have just signed up for this thing, god knows why it set my default password to the name of the thread starter! I have put it back now but I am deffinately not researcher whatsisname.

Glad I spotted that one I might have confused a few people.

these r all lies

Post 7

Researcher 199280

Actually Goths on the Whole are non Violent. However most goths i know can handle them selves. In that to get to their state of innner calm and beauty in everything they have spent some time studying martial arts.
This normally come as a surprise to the stupid trendies/rednecks or NEDS as they are known in glasgow who suddenly find out that picking on the one old goth that they really need more than three on them to beat him up and end up walking away the worse for wear.

Goths are non-violent but they will defend themselves is basically what should be said here.
And for clarification I have been around the goth sceen since my UNi days back in 1988 and know the dev in camdem well as well as other goth pubs and i basically live i the elsinor in whitby during the goth weekned

these r all lies

Post 8

CFH

goths are violent if needs be. I've meet Neds and they're non-violent in comparrisson with the spides in Belfast. The limelight is notoriuos for goths getting stabbed so Irish goths can be VERY violent.

these r all lies

Post 9

Researcher 207000

hey man try and type english not your little mini mosher text speak

these r all lies

Post 10

alji's

You are wasting your time, the researcher posted to only one thread (this one) back last July, and hasn't been seen since. BTW you may like to edit your page if you are thinking of staying.

smiley - cheers. I'm a h2g2 guru. Gurus are volunteers who try to find answers to problems researchers come up against when using h2g2. There is a list of gurus on my page which you can see if you click on my name at the top of this post.

Alji,{Guru}, smiley - zensmiley - wizard of the Red Dragon (Swynwr y Ddraig Goch) (conducting a sun sign poll @ A712595)smiley - surfer(Member of The H2G2 Guild of Wizards @ U197895 looking for wiz kids to join, though you don't have to be a wiz kid just know a bit about some subject that you think will be of interest to others or just bore the pants off them. This is an equal opportunities space open to all sexes, ages and abilities)

these r all lies

Post 11

Pope Edgar Montgomery 3rd, Lord of all that's heavy and electric (and ANARCHY), now not grooming for 1 week+ as a statement, and

I think you're right about the different goths different views. I would call myself goth but I wear the black hooody, blue baggies, nail varnish, studs etc. My best mate just calls me a wannabe but I still hate everything but keep my emotions bottled. You have to get me really angry before I will attack something. Where was I? Oh yeah, the only stereotype which is the same all over the world is the townie/ scally/ etc. Scallies call me goth on a regular basis. MM should be classed as goth. If anyone has heard his song beautiful people you should know why. If you don't LISTEN TO THE WORDS JACK**S. It's very anti-mainstream.
RULE ANARCHY.
please visit my space.

these r all lies

Post 12

Researcher 241755

You're right, but not all of it is lies. It still makes Goths sound like idiots though, and they are not. Some of the best people who are most likely to succeed in life dress in the most "abnormal" fashions and are usually MUCH smarter than they are made out to be, but I don't have to tell YOU that, since you are a Goth. You should make a thing on Goths like the ones we read. Maybe you can redefine what it really is...

these r all lies

Post 13

Researcher 250315

I dont think any of this is right... how can you couple a mindset with a fashion? i am what would most would consider a goth, a stereotypical goth at that, i dont go round saying "im a goth are you?" i simply accept people for what they are! if people of a particular frame of mind (like the one described in the article thing) like a similar style, does that mean they have to be given a label? for example: the youg person who wears blue baggies and black hoodies, that style is refered to as "mosher" mostly, townies and trendies dont know the difference between the two styles anyway, so why should you listen to them? goth is NOT a frame of mind, it is a fashion that people of a particular mindset seem to enjoy, just like people with violent tendancies may have wished to "rude boys" not so much now as they dont exist so much anymore... however, if you are saying that this mindset that you have described is goth then you are saying that anyone can be a goth even if they dont wear gothic clothes or listen to gothic music...

and i'm sorry but blue baggies and black hoodies are NOT goth, they are grunge. and theres no two ways about it.

A real goth.

these r all lies

Post 14

oldgoth

Over 20 years a goth and 18 of them running clubs. I've never seen any trouble caused by goths and in all that time only one fight, and that was caused by a 'townie' that had got in.

Violent? I dont think so.

oldgoth
www.insanitorium.co.uk

these r all lies

Post 15

morbidmaddnes

i agree partially to this, but first of all let me say this:

Everything and Everyone becomes violent when threatened when placed in the wrong situation, its nature.

I believe people automatically place labels (stereotypes) instantly, in order to understand eachother, Budisim acknowledges this and try's to correct it, They try to put themselves back in a pure state of mind. To see things for what they really are, not how we percieve them. Goth is a natural state of mind yes, but to what others may percieve "basically labeling stereotypes" it is black clothing, and death. Whether it is true or not, that is the "mainstreem" look on it. To me its an art, expression of a deep mindset intent on showing individuality its whatever u make it out to be! If you are doing it for yourself and not another, than it is real.

blessid be

these r all lies

Post 16

Jerms - a Brief flicker and then gone again.

I agree with pretty much everything said here, well except for the first post really, but I just wanted to ask... What's a 'Scallie'? I'm a bit removed from active society to be up to date with the terminology.

And by the way, MM isn't necissarily a goth just because he's anti-mainstream. Anarchistic is not the same as goth. and goth isn't the same as anarchistic. Mainly MM is just out to shock people; he uses the 'goth' image for that effect, sometimes. Quite well, I must say.

And as far as my perspective on violence goes... well let me just say that I'm one of the least violent people I've met, even less violent than most goths I know... and that may have something to do with the fact that I tried to kill someone when I was nine, and had to fight /damned/ hard to get out of that mess alive. I know how to be violent, and in fact at one point I was living with two martial arts masters, who had the equivalent of 8 black belts each. Yes, I said each.
I trained /hard/, especially in western-style weapons combat, and was considered one of the best in the country in several weapons, not so long ago. Until I had a disagreement with my head trainer and left the group. So that's my history; and it's true that I /could/ be violent, but I'm not. (see? there was a point.)

And some enlightenment on 'Scallies' would be nice, please.

smiley - cheers

these r all lies

Post 17

buffer_than_buff

To put it simply, nobody likes me. I'm alone, and if I wanna get by i need to be violent... If i never stuck up for myself I'd probably be dead in a ditch, but I dont go out of my way to be violent...

these r all lies

Post 18

Saturnine

If you want to get by, perhaps it might be better to stay out of trouble....

As for the whole "blue baggies/hoodies" look - it's a bit of a universal look when it comes to alternative cultures: including hip hop, drum 'n' bass etc etc. It's casual wear. I wear it because it's warm and it's comfortable. It's a good look for when you want to look OK after a rough night out.

Remember folks - it is only image. Image should be fun and fulfilling. Not cause all this argument.

And real alternative people can spot the fakes a mile off. 'nuff said.

*feels like she's grown up a little in the last 2 years* smiley - smiley

these r all lies.... are you sure?

Post 19

Jerms - a Brief flicker and then gone again.

Yep, yep, and yep.
Yeah I'll agree with that.
Well said Saturnine! smiley - smiley

these r all lies

Post 20

ladybirduk

I must agree with Mr oldgoth here - at all the goth nights I've been involved with (not as many as you I must say!) the only complaints we've had on the theme of violence, is from the bouncers saying they're bored - on other nights they have to spend the whold time ~diffusing~ situations, but for us all they have to do is take money on the door. Only time I've ever seen trouble was the time some drunk guy wandered in, grabbed the DJ's pvc clad bum (he has a nice bum) and was most put out when said DJ turned round, and turned out to be male. So not really violence on the goths part anyhow...

Key: Complain about this post