A Conversation for Brass Instruments, Tuning and Harmonics

didgeridoo

Post 1

Not Mongo

Wonderfull overview of the brass family. I would like to interject however, that the didgeridoo is usually considered a "vocal modifier" instead of a brass instrument.

didgeridoo

Post 2

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

Sorry for replying that late,

I know that the didge isn't really what could be called a standard brass instrument. Many sounds are created by humming and buzzing into the tube. But the basic concept, i.e. a tube with vibrating lips at one end make it a brass instrument.

Jeremy

didgeridoo

Post 3

Recumbentman

Isn't this solved by calling them all "lip-reed" instruments and leaving the metal out of the definition? Otherwise one can be accused of revelling in paradox, saying e.g. that a wooden cornetto is a brass instrument.

In your tables you set out the harmonic facts excellently.

I wonder why you use the word "Prim" where musicians normally say "Unison". I haven't come across this usage of "Prim" before, the nearest being a mathematical "Prime".

Your second table has a comma where it needs a dot in the fifth row, fourth column; otherwise the equal tempered third is seriously sharp!

I was directed here by Bossel, with a brand-new badge, commenting on my entry A1057736 - Sol-fa (2): the key to temperament, at F48874?thread=279450.

didgeridoo

Post 4

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

The , has turned into a .

didgeridoo

Post 5

Recumbentman

Sorry to split hairs, but there is a difference between "well-tempered" and "just intonation". The term "well-tempered" has its classic use in Bach's 48 Preludes and Fugues for the "well-tempered clavier"; for a while this was taken to mean equal-tempered, but current consensus is that Bach used some form of unequal temperament that still allowed all keys to be usable. Well-tempered is therefore a highly loaded word, and normally far from what you mean, pure intervals.

Personally I don't believe there can be any just intonation outside the natural horn and trumpet, bugle and other harmonics-only instruments like tromba marina, trump (mouth harp) . . . see A1057736 - Sol-fa (2): the key to temperament.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more