A Conversation for What is God?

Arguments for disbelief - subset Christians

Post 461

badger party tony party green party

Sorry if the first line sounds like Im being harsh that not my intention.

smiley - rainbow

Post 462

Maybe I should read my posts before i hit the post button.smiley - blue

smiley - rainbow

Post 463

azahar

smiley - biggrin

Yes, blicky, perhaps you should!

Androcles and the lino???

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

*wipes tears of laughter from eyes*

Thanks honey, I needed that.

az

Post 464

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

<<(although I have heard that Christianity sometimes finds it hard to get a look in),>>
So. Why am I not surprised?

Post 465

Fathom

Hi az,

You didn't read 'Androcles and the lino' at school? One of a series of classic Greek texts along with 'Perseus and the vinyl tiles' and 'Jason and the Axminster'.

smiley - smiley

F

Post 466

Alan M6791

'It's a Greek legend'!!! Written by George Bernard Shaw adapted from an Aesop fable. Aesop was a slave in ancient Greece, born 600 B.C.

Alji

Post 467

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Ah, but I knew Greeks came into it somewhere... smiley - biggrin

Post 468

'It's a Greek legend'!!! smiley - book

Yeah I know that now. My point was and still is that I and other children were told that story as something that supports the power of faith in the the bigG.

I dont care if its a greek or roman story at all but thats not the point. I was trying to show how religious types use stories that arent true to indoctrinate the young.

one love smiley - rainbow

Post 469

pikin42

Hmm thats strange... I don't ever remember being told "Christian" stories except ones from the Bible!

Post 470

Noggin the Nog

More important than the truth or falsity of individual stories (arguably) are the traditional interpretations and ways of reading those stories. When I was young I remember stories of the life of Jesus as a sugar coated pastoral idyll. That was the way the stories were traditionally told. Yet it now seems pretty clear that it wasn't like that, and that the ministry was conducted in a context of political and religious tension bordering on rebellion, which makes a difference to the reading of verses like "I come not to bring peace, but a sword."

Noggin

Post 471

pikin, were you never told the stories of the saints or missionaries?

smiley - rainbow

Post 472

pikin42

Not really. I remember doing St George and the dragon several times, but since no child over the age of about 5 seriously believes dragons existed I only ever remember being taught about it in the same way as when we were taught about Greek myths or King Author, only with a slightly more patriotic spin!

And your right, Noggin, children's teaching of the Bible etc does tend to be rather selective, but only in that it doesn't go into the areas they are unlikely to be able to understand at that age!

Post 473

Well Pikin we were at my school and the fact that even at your school those with an agenda were able to put a patriotic spin on a middle easter or possibly African man allegedly killing a mythical animal says a lot about the mindset of people who tell us that whats in the bible is true doent it?

one love smiley - rainbow

Post 474

pikin42

Since my school didn't promote the Bible as true... (in fact my younger brother once got very confused when I had to point out quite gently why we didn't celebrate Divalli at home!)

Besides these stories arn't Christian ones. Although they may arise out of a Christian culture, the two things arn't the same!

Key: Complain about this post