A Conversation for What is God?

Filling the void

Post 1

Aenjel

Within every man, woman, and child is an emptiness that begs to be filled. Studies abound about people looking for a "higher purpose" or a "deeper meaning" to their lives. God is what fills that void. God is what lives within us (in a spiritual sense), inspires, and brings meaning to peoples' lives. For me, God is the Holy Trinity as defined in the Old and New Testaments of the Bible. For others, God is power, or money, or music, or books, or their car, etc.

Filling the void

Post 2

minerva

By that definition, then, God is my cat. He uses a litter box; He eats canned chicken-like substance; He stands outside my bedroom door at night with a small red cow in His mouth, meowing (around the cow) to be let in; sometimes he walks around unaware that His wee pink tongue is sticking out of his mouth; He likes to sit on my shoulders while I'm making a sandwich and try to dip His paw into the mayonnaise; the plastic rings from gallon jugs of milk fascinate Him for hours.

Sounds kind of silly, doesn't it?

Therefore, there must be more to God than your definition of Him/Her/It/Whatever. The universe is a big, lonely (we think), and fairly inscrutable place. As much as we know about it now, we'll never in our lifetimes understand the nature of it or our place in it. This is a terrifying thought. Remember when you were a little kid, and your security blanket or your teddy bear was all you needed as protection from the evils of the world? God, in whatever form, is humanity's collective security blanket.

$.02

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more