A Conversation for The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 2005 - 2010

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A87956103 - The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 2005 - 2010

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 2005 - 2010 - A87956103
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

Another one done.

<BB<

A87956103 - The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 2005 - 2010

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry A87956103 - The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 2005 - 2010

Japanese animation studio Studio Ghibli -- repetition. Reword it to avoid:

Japanese animation company Studio Ghibli

Tokuma Shoten Publishing Co, Ltd -- you don't need the Ltd at the end of this. It's not a legal document

Tokuma died in September 2000 and his companies were sold off, however in 2005 Studio Ghibli gained its independence with Suzuki becoming the company's first president.

-- misuse of however. It is not a joining word. Just split into two:

Tokuma died in September 2000 and his companies were sold off. In 2005 Studio Ghibli gained its independence with Suzuki becoming the company's first president.

if the studio were to continue
-- "were" doesn't sound right to me here. I think this is a different case from "If I were a rich man".

Tales from Earthsea

It's worth pointing out that although one of the six books of the Earthsea series is called "Tales from Earthsea", this film is not based on it. As far as I can remember, it is mainly based on The Farthest Shore.

Only Archmage 'Sparrowhawk' Ged along with Prince Arren, Tenar who is the adoptive mother of Therru, are able
-->
Only Archmage 'Sparrowhawk' Ged along with Prince Arren, Ged's friend Tenar and her adopted daughter Therru, are able

the cause for the imbalance -->
the cause of the imbalance

the imbalance; the evil wizard -- you can't use a semicolon here because the piece after it would not make a complete sentence on its own. Change it to a colon - the bit before a colon introduces the bit after the colon.

the evil wizard named Cob -> the evil wizard Cob

adaptations are like buses -- capital "A" on Adaptations

you wait since 1968 for one then two come along -- put a comma after "one"

You should put some details of the other adaptation in the main text, not entirely in a footnote. People should be able to understand what you're saying without referring to a footnote.

particularly references to widespread famine, a declining civilisation and slavetrading -- both declining civilisation and slave trading were prominent parts of the story in The Farthest Shore.

Ponyo

who he renames Ponyo --> who he names Ponyo

can the fate of the planet be placed on the shoulders of a five-year-old.
-- end this sentence with a question mark.

inspired my --> inspired by

These include valuing elderly women can be seen -- this is messed up

The Secret World of Arrietty

You have a capital B on Borrower in the Dramatis Personae, but not in the plot summary. I think it could do with a capital B throughout.

Finally

Your summary seems to contradict your descriptions of the films. You say that one new director made one of the weakest of the Ghibli films, while the other made a film which shares very little with other Ghibli films. How can you say they were "were capable of making films in the Ghibli style"?

return to make more films alongside more films by both Miyazaki and Takahata -->
return to make more films alongside Miyazaki and Takahata

smiley - smiley G

Post 3

Bluebottle

smiley - puffThanks again, I've made the changes that you've suggested.smiley - oksmiley - ta

<BB<

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

" No-one questions why two five-year-olds are crossing the heavily flooded towns on their own without adult guidance or supervision." smiley - laughsmiley - ok Die Walküre plus The Little Mermaid - fascinating combination!

Excellent - leads neatly into the next Entry in the series, too smiley - ok

Post 5

Bluebottle

smiley - ta

<BB<

Post 6

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Guide Entry is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation to the entry itself.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more