This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

New time of life

Post 1

You can call me TC

The company I work for is rapidly going downhill but because of the advantages of only having a 10 minute bike ride to the office and no need of a car, I had always thought I would stay there until the Government decided it was time I retired (at the moment, they say that is August 2020).

Because of the upheavals and tribulations, they are trying to save their bacon by re-forming with a new company and we should all be getting new contracts at the beginning of next year. However, it was suggested to me (entirely in confidence) that I opt out and negotiate for a deal (which could be quite generous) and not start again under the new company - early retirement but with a bonus and unemployment pay till I officially retire.

I said yes immediately, as work is like banging your head against the wall these days, and I'll be delighted if it stops sooner than planned. So I asked them to make me an offer.

But now I'm wondering if they're just trying to get rid of me.

New time of life

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Whether or not they are, TC, this: "work is like banging your head against the wall these days, and I'll be delighted if it stops sooner than planned" tells you all you need to know, why you should do it, and why you should thoroughly enjoy retirement smiley - cheers

Also, smiley - envy

New time of life

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Sounds promising indeed...

When the powers that be in my company were trying to get rid of people, they were not so polite at all... They made a half-hearted effort to redeploy me, then I got the standard redundancy package and I was on my way... Didn't even get a leaving presentation, because they 'didn't want to make a fuss' smiley - blue

The second time was better, that the whole team organised its own presentation for each other so that left less of a bitter taste smiley - smiley

New time of life

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

When you have to spend part of your life swimming with the sharks, it's not a bad thing if there's a special party for you on the shore. smiley - smiley

Enjoy it. Most of the retirees I know are happy. Many are busier than they were when they worked.

New time of life

Post 5

Recumbentman

Go for it! smiley - bubbly

New time of life

Post 6

Wand'rin star

You already have lots of interests in the place where you live rather than starting from scratch as I did eight years ago. Have fun and enjoy the grandchildren smiley - starsmiley - star

New time of life

Post 7

Deb

Does it matter if they ARE trying to get rid of you? If the outcome is a deal you're happy with and a pleasant retirement, who cares if they also get their way? How much will you really think about that as you climb back into bed with a smiley - tea and a book because you don't have to get up for work? smiley - biggrin

Deb smiley - cheerup

New time of life

Post 8

You can call me TC

Thanks Deb - yes, that has since dawned on me, too.

Après moi le déluge.smiley - biggrin

Anyway, it's all up in the air at the moment. Could happen tomorrow, could happen in January...

New time of life

Post 9

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

It's not unusual for companies to get rid of the wrong people, and then beg them to come back.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for You can call me TC

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more