This is the Message Centre for You can call me TC

Way back when Part 2

Post 1

You can call me TC

So, I continue with December 1989. The Berlin Wall had just fallen, my youngest was just a year old, and all the grandparents were still alive.

More predictions for the 90s - we shall be surrounded by mood music, available on cassettes (smiley - smiley) which is available by mail order (what a quaint old expression!) or from health food shops and places like Neal's Yard. The prevailing theory is that the way we listen to music is dictated by its location in the - still strictly delineated - left- and right-hand sides of our brains. (I think I read somewhere that neuroscience has now distanced itself from the concept of left and right hemispheres)

One article tries to analyse what makes a man sexy. Apparently, it's a nice idea to ignore the dates in your filofax once in a while and be spontaneous.

Now to the recipe section ... (Christmas fell in December even back then). Filo pastry was already available (still unheard of here in Germany in 2015, but it is appearing surreptitiously in some shops. Soon they'll be publishing recipes for it here, too!)

The recipes are rather uninspired, except perhaps, for a rather intriguing alternative cold Christmas dessert of a tangerine ice cream, filled into the skins of the tangerines. For a couple of years now I've not found those tangerines where the pieces fall out of the skin. I wonder if they'll be around next winter? I'll cut the recipe out just in case.

This magazine is for "New Woman" - that's working mothers, but those who can juggle everything and look amazing into the bargain. Yeah, whatever. As far as I can glean from the internet, the magazine must have packed up at some time, because the only one of that name available these days is published in India. The most recent reference I can find is from March 2008. With Billie Piper on the cover.

It's gone in the bin now.

Way back when Part 2

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"As far as I can glean from the internet, the magazine must have packed up at some time" [TC]

That's because the new woman became old. Stuff happens

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for You can call me TC

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more