A Conversation for East Anglian Country Music

A395589 East Anglian Country Music

Post 1

Teeky

I feel this is a very worthwhile posting for anyone visiting the planet and not being aware of odd occurences of erstwhile extinct music. Just imagine if a traveller materialised in a Suffolk pub to find someone clogging away in huge boots upon a step board, what on earth would you think. It could appear menacing and the step dancer would not not be best pleased if he were zapped with a Megasluthan Fragmentation gun.
No I fear the best approach is to make it universally known that any occurence of such music, though rare in the 21st Century, does still exist but is in no way a threat to life or limb.
It will greatly increase a creature's perception of this art form if we can include a MIDI other well known form of intergalactic music representation. I have the appropriate clip available. How is it integrated into the Guide?
http://www.h2g2.com/A395589

Kind Valutins
Teeky

A445619 East Anglian Country Music

Post 2

shrinkwrapped

Hi Teeky - welcome to h2g2!
I think your link is a bit wrong - A395589 appears to be the Peer Review page... your entry is currently at http://www.h2g2.com/A445619, which is actually your "Space" to write personal details and such, like a homepage. You probably aught to convert it into an actual guide entry, by clicking on "Add Guide Entry" and then pasting your article into the box provided.

East Anglian Country Music is a good idea for an article, and you've made a fine start - but perhaps you could elaborate a bit on what the instruments are, such as a "dulcimer"? Who are the most popular writers of the style? Which are the most recognised songs?

As far as MIDI files go, I doubt h2g2 would include it, because it's bound to be tied up in all sorts of distressing Copywright formalities...

Keep writing! smiley - smiley

Post 3

Teeky

Hi Big Mad,
Yes thanks for your comments re the subject no. I saw the error of my ways shortly sfter and corrected(or rather made a new entry).
Well I'm glad you think it worthwhile. I will indeed try to elaborate.
As regards MIDI files, as far as I can make out, they are free from copyright. One of my net communities who are very strong on copyrighted material will not allow wav files unless you register with them that you hold the copyright. However they apply no restriction to MIDIs.
Watch out for more! smiley - smiley

Post 4

shrinkwrapped

Will do...

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Midi files of traditional tunes are certainly free of copyright. I'm not so sure about Midi files of modern songs, such as, for example, pop songs in the charts at the moment.

A midi file could be considered a performance of the song rather than a recording of the song. It is no different that a "cover version" where one (lesser known) band plays a song normally done by another (more popular) band. But what is the legal situation here? Can I sing someone else's song without asking them? I know that if I do it down the pub, no-one will be worried, but can I release CDs of me singing Robbie Williams' latest hit without permission? Do I have to pay a commission?

Removed

Post 6

Teeky

This post has been removed.

Post 7

Gavroche

Here is the link to your entry now: http://www.h2g2.com/A447617

(I thought I'd post it for you to make it easier for others reading this thread to find it.)

You have made a fine start, however, if this is going to be an "edited guide entry" there will probably need to be some changes.

Edited guide entries don't contain the word "I". That is, the researcher isn't supposed to be referred to in the entry.

Humor is sometimes OK in an entry, but it isn't the point of the entry. Douglas Adams book was humorous, and the fictional Hitchhiker's Guide used humor...however the fictional guide's main purpose was still to convey information to the needy hitchhiker, not to entertain. The rule of thumb H2G2 gives is: don't force the humor, if it comes naturally, that's fine.

You will rarely see smiley faces in edited entries, even though they are often found in the forums and the more relaxed unedited entries.

You should explain all references that foreigners might need explained to them -- H2G2 has a worldwide audience.

Despite these problems, you have the beginnings of an interesting entry, so don't be discouraged. Just tell us a little more about East Anglian Country Music, and make a few adjustments to fix the problems noted above.

I have no idea how the H2G2 lawyers will treat a midi file regarding copyright --- however, if an artist has an official webpage containing song samples, you can provide a link to that page without any problems, and the reader of the entry can access the music that way.

smiley - fish
Gavroche

Post 8

Teeky

Many thanks Gavroche,

Will other reviewers be able to follow the new link to A447617?

I have updated the entry to include your comments such as removal of 1st person singular and smileys. I have hopefully endeavoured to explain terms that can be understood on an intergalactic scale, included a URL of some published samples of EA folk music and included more details about instruments, dancing and musicians (as originally requested by Big Mad).

The contents of the entry is now much improved thanks to the review comments thus far and far more likely to be of use to, say, the roving Teezer.

Any further review comments welcomed. smiley - smiley

Valutins,
Teeky

Post 9

Salamander the Mugwump

Hi Teeky,

That's an enjoyable read. Any visiting alien would certainly need some preparation for such a sight and sound. If you're up for it, the article could do with a bit of formatting. If you pop over to page http://www.h2g2.com/A155701 "Instructions for Using GuideML" and page http://www.h2g2.com/A264520 "The Sub-editor's Guide to GuideML", you'll find the instructions on how to put in headings and break it up into paragraphs.

I think this entry belongs in the Guide. smiley - smiley

Thread Moved

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'East Anglian Country Music'.

From Peer Review Sin Bin to Flea Market

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for East Anglian Country Music

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more