A Conversation for Talking Point: Dating Disasters

Age does make a difference

Post 1

broelan

When I was 22 I was working in a convenience store on the evening shift. I had made acquaintances with some of the regular customers. One "gentleman" in particular asked me to dinner one evening after several weeks of frequenting the store on my shift. We talked and I accepted. He introduced himself as "John", and said that he knew he was a little older than I was, that he was 37, and he hoped that the age difference didn't put me off. I said that it didn't matter, and we agreed to have dinner the following week.

I met him at his house, being more familiar with his neighborhood than he was with mine. I assumed we would be going out. When I knocked on the door I could smell dinner cooking. He answered the door in an apron, invited me in and said he hoped I didn't mind eating in. I supposed not, living alone no one hardly ever cooked for me, including me.

Making conversation while cooking, John told me that he had fibbed, he was really 39, he was sorry, he hoped I wasn't mad. He said he thought if I knew he was almost 40 I wouldn't consider seeing him. OK, we all fib here and there. No problem.

As dinner was served, he was suddenly 42. Oh my! Twenty years older than me? However, I wasn't as concerned with how old he was as I was with the fact that he hadn't told me outright. I mean, I understand the rejection factor involved (for him) in asking someone so young out, but hell, the worst I could have said was "No, thank you."

When I offered to help with the dishes after the meal, he confessed that he was actually 45, but that he really was 45, he wasn't lying this time. At this point I didn't want to know how old he was going to be before the end of the night, so I left. He wasn't even a very good cook. And he never visited my store again (thank goodness).

Post 2

Jimi X

So age really didn't make the difference - the lying did.
People need to remember that. Eventually, all lies are exposed. That was part of the fun with being a newspaper reporter, throwing people's words back at them when they get caught lying. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Jimi X

*gets off soapbox*

Post 4

Peta

Lying about your age is kind of sad too isn't it? If someone feels that badly about their age they should just politely decline to give it when asked. Then it's not about their age, but about personality or character or a hundred and one other things... smiley - smiley

Post 5

Dinsdale Piranha

Blimey, that makes my one, where a woman abruptly stopped talking to me halfway through a date when she found out that I was 21 and she was 25, sound a bit tame.

Post 6

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

The age pendulum swings both ways. I met a girl in a bar, and we hit it off and agreed to have a date later on, but I hadn't bothered to ask her age. She was in a bar, and I knew the girl she had come in with, so I naturally assumed that she was 21 or 22 (the age of her friend). It turned out that she was "almost 19," and immature for that age, and I was a very mature 25. I went ahead and dated her for a couple of weeks anyway, but it got to the point where I couldn't stand her anymore. It was so much like dating in high school... she would call me three times a day and not say much of anything, she wrote me notes that I felt an uncontrollable urge to cover in red-inked grammatical corrections, and various other things that reminded me of everything I hated about being a teenager. I had no interest in waiting until she grew up, so I terminated her with extreme prejudice... and subjected myself to another few weeks of tearful phone calls.

Post 7

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

*hugs*
Wow, I am glad I read this forum!smiley - tongueout
I now find myself in the reverse situation...
I am 45, my last boyfriend was 17.
And yes, I met him online.
H2g2 in fact.
We got on very well.
Mentally, we were on the same wavelength.
Comes with coping with family members who are handicapped.
Our problem was other people, their attitudes; opinions.
Oh well, back to square one, awaiting my next disasterous relationship; not that I'm pessimistic...smiley - winkeye

Removed

Post 8

Hersh

This post has been removed.

Removed

Post 9

Hersh

This post has been removed.

Post 10

Aleric B

errr...aint there laws against that?

Post 11

Demon Drawer

I'm glad this thread is taking the age doesn't matter approach as it was hardly discussed in my current situation and only came up as a one liner the other night. 11 years is nothing as long as both parties stimulate the other as much as is required if not more so than was imagined. smiley - smiley

Post 12

In two words?
His parents.smiley - sadface

Post 13

Demon Drawer

Yeah ok that does have a bearing in your case sorry GB smiley - sadface

Post 14

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Well, it's a bit harder to find a same-gender mate in a conservative state in the US. So many gay and bisexual people stay closeted. Not long after moving to Colorado, I tried a classified advertisement for the first time. The girl I met was stunning, and a game of chess quickly proved her intelligence as well. Her taste in desserts wasn't bad either, and everything was fine until conversation got around to family. You see, she was 16 and still lived with hers.

Yikes! Colorado isn't the kind of state where parents or police will look the other way where lesbian sex with a minor is involved. Afraid of the law knocking on my door, I bid her farewell. It was a great first date destined to go nowhere.

Post 15

It's OK DD, I'm used to being alone.
*hugs*

Post 16

broelan

Sorry, I've been out for a few days. I didn't really mean that age makes a big difference. It makes a difference as much as location, education, interests, it's something every man (or woman) must decide for themselves. Jimi is right (it was Jimi wasn't it?) stating that it was more the lying about it. Age never has mattered much to me. After that incident I dated a 38 year-old for awhile, but eventually (two years later) married (and later divorced) a man only a year and a half older than me. And one of my best friends is actually seven years younger. I wanted to date him, but there was also the hurdle of distance. He lives in Michigan, I'm in Missouri. He turned me down.

Post 17

Aleric B

missouri: old indian word meaning 'total lack of road signs'

Post 18

broelan

in part.... actually it means "total lack of roadsigns, overabundance of stop signs" smiley - smiley

Join the Dragon House

Post 19

Anole

Name:Judicator Anole, Head Dragoon of the Dragon House
U number:U1526866
Dragon Abilities:Leading dragon forces into battle, and other dragon stuff
Magic Knowledge:Adept Level
Size:Large (Extra Large and higher is reserved for DragonQueen, for females are larger
Rank Ambition:I am Head Dragoon
Thursday or Thing:Either

Key: Complain about this post