A Conversation for Advent Calendars

Home-made advent calendars

Post 1

Vandervecken

These were a tradition in my family when we were young. My sister still makes them every year, always a new and inventive design. Over the years, she has come up with some extremely elaborate devices, mainly made from cardboard, involving revolving discs, boxes, random-looking window arrangements that reveal pictures when strips are pulled in different ways...

Home-made advent calendars

Post 2

helga danielsen

How nice of you to write about these Christmas calendars. I have made a lot of them myself for my children, because they help to pass the months of December and avoid the everyday question: How many days to Christmas?
I love seeing them hanging on windows with the light shining through the already opened doors of the days. Anyhow, I do not think there are many nations who are so sentimental about Christmas as the Germans. Once, long ago, I walked through town on Christmas Eve and I met nobody. Behind closed windows all I could see were lighted candles (real candles at that time) on Christmas trees. It was a beautiful experience, but also a very lonely one. I felt excluded, the only person on earth, until I reached my parents' home.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Advent Calendars

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more