This is the Message Centre for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Lethal cookies and other dangerous monsters on the net

Post 1

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

So I asked a friend the following:
"My brother says he has to clean his computer now that one of our sisters has emailed him a link to some facebook thing. Is this true if he hasn't clicked said link?"

An answer came back:
"Tell him to run a virus scan to check. Probably fine if he didn't click any links."

I told my brother this but he responded in a way which made me decide to start this thread to hear my fellow researchers' advice and opinions about lethal cookies and other dangerous monsters on the net.

I'll start with this slightly different question:
"Is it true that Facebook is informed of the recipients adresse the moment I mail a Facebook-link to my brother? I've never heard of this exact thing before (but I've heard a lot of (other) conspiracies ...)"

smiley - pirate

Post 2

ITIWBS

Issues of the character that defy description I take as a challenge to my descriptive powers.

I feel rather swamped at the moment.

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

My advice for lethal cookies is that you don't eat them.

Post 4

That's as far as I got myself, paulh, but thank you anyway smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate

Post 5

I've done a little research and found some interesting articles. Some are old and may not be up to date but may still contain some interesting data.
This is 10 years old:
https://www.cnet.com/news/five-hidden-dangers-of-facebook-q-a/
This was updated 3 June 2020:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000559.htm
And this is 3 years old:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/gear-style/reasons-why-you-should-stop-using-facebook.html/

But none of them answer my question: Is Facebook notified of my brother's email address if I send an email to him containing a link to something on Facebook?

smiley - pirate

Post 6

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - smileyAnyone! Family or friends, who send me emails with attachments or links - I automatically scan with antivirussmiley - smileyeven thoughsmiley - biggrinmy antivirus does it anyway

alsosmiley - smileyccleaner is a good clearing of "cookies" etc after a internet session smiley - smiley(there's a free versionsmiley - winkeye)

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Cookies should be freshly baked and giving out aromas.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more