This is the Message Centre for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Advantages of a Quarantine

Post 241

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Even if they exceed the number of fingers and toes?

Post 242

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Try facing this challenge with one hand, a hook, a foot and a peg leg smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Post 243

If you have more than 12 blessings, you may be sunk....

Post 244

Not as long as I have my trusted crew! smiley - cool

[Grabs bullhorn and shouts:] - All hands on deck!

smiley - pirate

Post 245

Don't you remember? Blood of the Zaphodistas has been losing crew since about 2003. I'm still on the crew, but I need count my own blessings. But here's a handy abacus that might help you.

Post 246

smiley - ta It's a start I guess smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate

Post 247

If you go over and check my latest journal posts, you will see that I am feeling more relaxed and happy. The new medication seems to be okay. I'm phasing out of the old medication.

Tomorrow I will need to schedule an appointment with my primary care doctor. I hope he doesn't scold me too much. I feel physically fragile now, as if I can't afford to be jostled too much for fear of coming to grief, but if I can keep the relaxation going, there may be hope for m,e. cross your fingers that I get it right.

Post 248

I just checked your journal smiley - ok

Now back to the topic:

OVERVIEW: Current corona death rates for selected hotspots.
The death toll from the coronavirus pandemic is over 227,000 worldwide this Thursday morning.
Below you can get an overview of the number of deaths in a number of selected countries and the worst hit city currently, New York City.
The actual death toll is until 04:00 on Thursday GMT. The figure in brackets after the total death toll is the death toll per 100,000 inhabitants.
The increase is calculated from 04:00 on Wednesday and 24 hours ahead.
The figure in brackets after the increase shows in percentage how much the daily death rate has decreased / increased compared to the day before.
* USA: 60,967 total deaths (18.6). 2612 died in 24 hours (+24.6 percent).
* Italy: 27,682 died in total (45.9). 323 died in 24 hours (-15.4 percent).
* Spain: 24,275 died in total (51.7). 453 died in 24 hours (+50.5 percent).
* UK: 26,097 died in total (39.2). 4352 died in 24 hours (+566.5 percent).
* New York City: 18,076 died in total (215.2). 394 died in 24 hours (+135.9 percent).
* Germany: 6467 died in total (7.8). 153 died in 24 hours (-18.6 percent).
* Sweden: 2462 died in total (24.1). 107 died in 24 hours (+32.1 percent).
* Denmark: 443 died in total (7.6). 9 died in 24 hours (+28.6 percent).
* Worldwide: 227,683 total deaths (2.9). 10,485 died in 24 hours (+75.2 percent).
Source: Johns Hopkins University.

smiley - pirate

Post 249

Two researchers from Sweden estimate that up to 20,000 will die with coronavirus in Sweden:
The country has recorded 2462 deaths, but the final number will end between 10,000 and 20,000, says biologist Uno Wennergren and math professor Tom Britton to the Swedish TV station SVT on Wednesday night.

It is probably not possible to compare these figures to the statistics from other countries (as given above).

smiley - pirate

Post 250

On a somewhat lighter smiley - musicalnote:

Swedish authorities have begun to use unconventional methods to prevent young people from gathering, according to the newspaper Politiken in Copenhagen:
Each year, 20,000-30,000 people gather for a mass picnic in the city park in Lund on April 30. They do this to celebrate Walpurgis Night. They light bonfires, sing, eat and drink. But not this year: Authorities will spread chicken faeces in the park to discourage people from gathering.

smiley - pirate

Post 251

Baron Grim

smiley - laugh

Why chicken poo, in particular? Ease of access? Quick degredation?

A few weeks ago I saw an image of what one city's mayor did to mitigate kids gathering at the local skate park; It was filled with wood chips.

Post 252

Couldn't thye have played classical music? smiley - winkeye

Chicken poo sounds like a good thing because it will fertilize the grass and shrubs

Post 253

I have no idea why they chose smiley - chick $h*t smiley - biggrin

But I know from experience that I wouldn't want to lay in a field that had been covered with it smiley - yuk

Not even if I had a barrel of finest Gösser smiley - ale from Austria to numb my sense of smell with smiley - laugh

smiley - pirate

Post 254

Ah, I guess the authorities were counting on the young folks being chicken about chancing smelly clothes.

Post 255

We have this old saying here which basically means a crow will always seek to mate one of its own species. I guess the same goes for smiley - chicksmiley - chicksmiley - whistle

smiley - pirate

Post 256

Birds of a feather flock together.

Post 257

Hati

Chicken poo makes a very good fertiliser, they just had 2in1 - get the people off and fertilise the lawn.

Post 258

Maybe the town officials were going to fertilize with chicken poo anyway, and saw this as a chance to *ahem* kill two hes with one stone.

(With apologies to chickens everywhere and anywhere.)

Post 259

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Quarantine!smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye how do you stop a monkey climbing Blackpool Tower ?

Take it to Scarboroughsmiley - whistle

Post 260

Taking it to Scarborough is hardly fair!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more