This is the Message Centre for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Hootoo solstice

Post 21

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, Kro Bar was pretty much the opposite of a proper kro - not homely at all...

Hootoo solstice

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I figured out Baron Grim's mathematician joke. smiley - smiley If every number is half of the one before it, the total will never reach the original number.

Hootoo solstice

Post 23

Baron Grim

Yes, the bartender took a serious problem and made it a series problem.

smiley - ok

Hootoo solstice

Post 24

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

SashaQ = true... I get, and look distracted a lot thesedays.... now its useually more symptamatic of wonky blood chemistray and brain chemistry for ungood reasons smiley - laughsmiley - zensmiley - alesmiley - stoutsmiley - scientist

Hootoo solstice

Post 25

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

re 16:

Paulh, the collective noun of crows is a murder of crows smiley - geek

smiley - pirate

Hootoo solstice

Post 26

smiley - doh

Well, I wouldn't have gotten that smiley - blush. I thought crows traveled in flocks anyway, like any other birds smiley - erm.

Hootoo solstice

Post 27

To a foreigner like yours truly collective nouns are a hoot smiley - biggrin

"An informal gathering of members of the media by the White House press secretary used to be called a press gaggle. It is now called a press murder."

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/a-compiled-list-of-collective-nouns

smiley - pirate

Hootoo solstice

Post 28

I'd rather not think about what goes on in Washington, D.C. Or in on Washington. Seems like a waste of prepositions, but Washington is not afraid of waste. smiley - erm

Hootoo solstice

Post 29

Speaking of Washington, is it called a congress of baboons or not? The jury is still out on that, it seems

http://www.herbweb.org/animals-collective-nouns.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_terms_of_venery,_by_animal

http://www.thoughtco.com/group-of-baboons-not-a-congress-3968493

smiley - pirate

PS To be honest I think it's unfair to call a group of baboons a congress ...

Hootoo solstice

Post 30

While 21 June is usually the longest day of the year today is the official midsummer solstice called sankthansaften (Saint John The Baptist's Night) which will be celebrated with thousands of bonfires throughout the country and lots of food and drink smiley - porkpiesmiley - stoutsmiley - chicksmiley - redwinesmiley - cheers

Coincidentally this is also the first summer Friday afternoon with free musical entertainment in the town square. Today we will be enjoying The Jazz Uncles smiley - musicalnote

It's gonna be a long day - so don't wait up smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Hootoo solstice

Post 31

I don't think it's a good sign that people can't agree on what to call a group of bees. A Cluster, according to one source? A swarm according to another?

A group of birds (any birds) is commonly called a flock, so why should crows, which were birds the last time I checked, get a completely different term? And why base this on some book from 1458? We don't base much of anything else in lives on what people thought in 1458, so why is the handing out of terms of groups of animals different?

Yes, I'm a killjay. smiley - tongueout

Hootoo solstice

Post 32

I can't think of more than one piece of music devoetd to Saint John's Day. Here's theone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAsyv2wYrLc

Hootoo solstice

Post 33

Baron Grim

Collective nouns are fun, but I now subscribe to the conviction that other than herd, flock, and school the collective noun for any other animals is bunch.

Hootoo solstice

Post 34

Well, I would allow a pack of dogs.

Hootoo solstice

Post 35

Baron Grim

Noted. I agree... herds, packs, flocks, schools, and bunches.

Hootoo solstice

Post 36

re 31:

Many people base their entire lives on books way older than that smiley - zen

smiley - pirate

Hootoo solstice

Post 37

Point taken, Pierce. smiley - smiley

Ponce de Leon was born in 1458. Likewise Lorenzo di Medici.

Hungary and Bohemia got new kings. Chances are you've never heard of them.

1458 was a plague year. Everyone agreed that plague was caused by sin.

The future Richard III was six years old.

If you were planning to vacation in Christian Constantinople, you were out of luck -- it changed hands five years earlier, with the Turks taking charge.

The Scottish Parliament ordered the slaughter of wolves.

Moctezuma I [a.k.a. Montezuma] invaded Coixtlahuaca, alleging that Aztec merchants were being mistreated there.

Pachacuti was running the Inca empire, bent on imperial conquest. Pizarro, who would conquer the Incas in 1532, was as yet unborn.
Enjoy your empire while you still have it!

Hootoo solstice

Post 38

And then we must not forget the Quran, the New and Old Testament, the Vedas and so on and so forth

smiley - pirate

Hootoo solstice

Post 39

Why not? I forget them all on a regular basis. smiley - biggrin

Hootoo solstice

Post 40

smiley - laugh

That's alright, I do it myself smiley - biggrin

Just don't forget how much those smiley - booksmiley - book mean to millions of others

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more