This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Your Friends are Here

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

I once wrote a computer game - I was experimenting with a text adventure engine, a program which allows you to write your own adventure games. I wrote a very simple game to test it out.

The basic premise of the game was that the player is trapped alone inside a building and has to find their way out by following clues. At the end of the game, the player finds himself in the local pub and is told:

"Your friends are here, wondering where you've been. You join them for a few drinks and enjoy an evening of chat."

or words to that effect.

In other news, I recently followed a link on Facebook to an advertisement for a new h2g2 book, and after a bit of searching ended up back here.

My friends appear to be still here, wondering where I've been.

Your Friends are Here

Post 2

Baron Grim

smiley - cheers

Welcome Back!

Your Friends are Here

Post 3

Icy North

Yes, it’s always good to see you, Gnomon. smiley - ok

Sadly not much has changed recently around here, but we live in perpetual hope.

Your Friends are Here

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Gnomon, I will always have fond memories of meeting you at a get-together in London, and seeing how many times you've helped people here. There is no right or wrong answer to the question of which sites to go to, but you'll find friends here. smiley - smiley

Your Friends are Here

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

It is good to see you around indeed - I enjoyed your Douglas Adams inspiration piece A87898469 last week smiley - biggrin

Cheers! smiley - cidersmiley - biggrin

Your Friends are Here

Post 6

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

It certainly is quiet in these ere parts, of recent smiley - weird but always good to see a very familiar friend return back to the site.... smiley - zensmiley - magicsmiley - ale

Your Friends are Here

Post 7

A fair number of people do come back from time to time. Maybe they're curious as to whether we're still smiley - weird.

Your Friends are Here

Post 8

You can call me TC

So pleased to zee you posting again!

Your Friends are Here

Post 9

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - hug

Your Friends are Here

Post 10

Researcher5

well we are still here and there is still a team working hard to keep things going. Lots of activity around the Post and we still seem to have lots of people finding articles through organic search and I love how random the kinds of things people come to us for - it truly is Life the Universe and Everything!

Your Friends are Here

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi R5. Good to see you around. I marvel at your swims - I can't swim and don't like getting into cold water.

It's great to see lots of people rushing around doing things, and your book project looks great!

But shouldn't the real work be fixing the bugs in the site and getting it working so that new writers could actually contribute to the Guide?

Your Friends are Here

Post 12

Recumbentman

Good to see plenty of Gnomic utterances in the book too!

Your Friends are Here

Post 13

Ah, but life is a struggle generally, and sooner or later the lucky ones find where they're meant to be. If this is the place for them, they will stay and grace us for as long as we're here.

We aren't for everybody, but the people who need us will find some happiness here. smiley - smiley

Steady as she goes. Or whatever.

Key: Complain about this post