This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Linking in h2g2

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Dmitri made a comment the other day that he can't publish links to conversations because it is not technically possible.

I realised that I know a thing or two about the workings of h2g2 which don't appear to be documented anywhere so I started experimenting. I now know how to do any of the following:

1. Put a link in a GuideML entry to another entry.
2. Put a link in a conversation to an entry.
3. Put a link in a conversation to the start of another conversation.

All of these can be done in a way that will work in any skin (Goo, Plain, Brunel, Alabaster or Pliny).

There are a few other things I can do which don't work in every skin:

- put a link in a conversation to the end of another conversation (doesn't work in Pliny)
- put a link in an entry to any part of a conversation (doesn't work in Pliny
- put a different type of link in an entry to any part of a conversation (doesn't work in anything except Pliny)

I'm still experimenting on links in entries to conversations, so I may eventually come up with something that works in all skins.

Linking in h2g2

Post 2

Icy North

That sounds like really useful testing, thanks Gnomon!

What do you mean by a 'different type of link' in your last example there?

Linking in h2g2

Post 3

You can call me TC

I have linked in (not for EG) entries to conversations, but my links probably only work in Ripley.

No idea where I found out how to do it, but as far back as 2002, I used the following kind of link in an entry for linking to a conversation.

This will obviously not work in Pliny so I'd love to know how to do it so that it can be seen in all skins.

Linking in h2g2

Post 4

You can call me TC

Actually the whole link looks like this:

texttexttexttext,

Linking in h2g2

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

That link will work in Ripley, but not in Pliny. There's a different link that will work in Pliny but not in Ripley:

[LINK H2G2="../forum/F22149610/thread/T8316886"]texttexttext[/LINK]

(with angle brackets instead of square brackets)

Linking in h2g2

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Good, Gnomon - if you figure out a way that works in both Pliny and Ripley, the Post would be grateful to hear about it. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gnomon - time to move on

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more