This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Birdwatching

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

A hawk flew into our garden this morning. It settled on a small fence at the back of my neighbour's garden, then flew back through our garden and away.

I've never seen a hawk at close range before, so I'm not familiar with the different types. This one was about a foot (30cm) high when perched on the fence, and was brown all over.

I think it was a kestrel or sparrowhawk, but I'm not sure.

Birdwatching

Post 2

ITIWBS

Its nice to see the raptors coming after their major die off ofbthe middle 20th century.

Birdwatching

Post 3

Icy North

A sparrowhawk is greyer, and has a distinct barred pattern on the chest.

The kestrel is obviously brown, almost golden, with a grey head and cream-coloured chest, with mottled dark pattern on the back and chest.

But you're lucky to see one up so close - amazing birds.

Birdwatching

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

We used to get lots of hawks circling in North Carolina. We knew they were there the same way the birds did: squirrels set up a warning chatter and climbed into the trees for cover. Then all the birds started fussing and hid, too.

Birdwatching

Post 5

Baron Grim

We have a lot of small birds in our yard; my father puts out seed.

Occasionally, this will bring in a hawk. We've occasionally seen them perch just outside their front window.

Even when we get a good close look, maybe even a quick photo, we have trouble differentiating specific hawk breeds. I really can't tell the difference between a Cooper's hawk, a sharp-shinned hawk, or a sed sailed hawk.

I check sites like this one: http://www.houstonaudubon.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/525/MenuGroup/Home.htm
but it doesn't really help. There's still enough variation in hawks that I typically see markings that don't appear in any of the pics I find online.

Birdwatching

Post 6

Baron Grim

^Red tailed, not sed sailed. smiley - doh

Birdwatching

Post 7

What's funny is, I read 'red tailed' anyway...smiley - laugh

Birdwatching

Post 8

ITIWBS

Locally, the three raptors seen most frquently are the diminiutive nighthawk, seen almost every day, immediately after dark, competing with the bats, taking insects on the wing; the turkey vulture, seen several times a year; and the red tailed hawk.

Occasionally the golden eagle is seen.

Once I had a black Mexican eagle of the kind pictured on the Mexican national flag hanging around for a couple of weeks, clomping around on the roof at night.

It sandbagged the road runner living in the front yard the morning of the second day.

The quail and other song birds promptly evacuated the area and did not return until the eagle had departed.

Birdwatching

Post 9

The diminutive nighthawk sounds charming. smiley - smiley Perhaps it could be the companion animal of Nighthoover...

Birdwatching

Post 10

ITIWBS

http://www.google.com/search?q=nighthawk%2C+images&oq=nighthawk%2C+images&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.14928j0j4&client=tablet-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

The white bands the night hawk has on the underside of its wings is a marking it has it common with the golden eagle, which has similar bands.

smiley - biggrinAnything that helps to keep the flying insects down is welcome.

Birdwatching

Post 11

coelacanth

I had a sparrowhawk in my garden last year, it stayed about 30 minutes, completely indifferent to the alarm calls in the surrounding trees. It was too busy plucking and eating the two blackbirds it had caught. My cat went into hiding under the sofa for most of the morning too. It was magnificent, scary, haughty and very elegant, although there were feathers everywhere!

It's a coincidence you mentioning it because I was reminded of that visit this very morning when the radio came on as usual just before the 6am news. Radio 4's "Tweet of the Day" was the sparrowhawk http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02tx41n Steve Backshall introduced it and said something like you'd know a sparrowhawk in the sky by the explosion of feathers.

I seem to remember when working out which raptor was in my garden there was something about the eyes that helps with identification.
smiley - bluefish

Birdwatching

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

When my brother was six or seven, he was sitting in the living room when a hawk or falcon flew in through the window, shattering glass all over the rug. My brother jumped, averting injury. The bird flew back out again.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gnomon - time to move on

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more